Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

SD card Ultra

When looking to see where to add my SD card after getting a prompt on my screen, I went to support center and it had me look up compatible models. It doesn’t have the Roku Ultra as listed having this capability, but I looked anyways and it’s there. 

i now formatted the card and it seems to be working. Are there any issues that I’m not aware of?

D237E643-122A-49E6-AB5E-1D73B4E29DA4.jpeg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 8

Re: SD card Ultra

Hello Micari!

You said, "When looking to see where to add my SD card after getting a prompt on my screen" The specs indicate a Micro Sd port.  Was that just a typo?

0 Kudos
Level 7

I'm not sure what you're asking. The specs online say that it doesn't have one, but in reality, it does, so I wasn't sure if I'm actually supposed to use it, or not. Look at the screenshot from the original post. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

You're confusing the "new" Ultra with the previous model.  There's no check mark next to "MicroSD port" - the current model doesn't have one.  If yours has one then it's not the current model.  A microSD card isn't necessary, but it may speed up channel/app launching.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I looked it up by the model number provided on the Roku interface, that model number in the support documentation says it does not have a micro sd card slot, but if there are no problems, that's great!

0 Kudos
Level 21

Yes, they dropped the SD card slot with the new Ultra 4800. Even with my older players I've never bothered with adding a card. The occasional time it needs to reload a little used channel isn't enough of a drag to really need it. Now if someone has dozens of channels and regularly uses them all, I could see the benefit. Since I only use perhaps a dozen of the 51 channels I have loaded, it's really unneeded. I probably need to prune my channels. Some I flat out have never used more than once. Smiley Tongue

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

totally get that! I use a lot of channels, but definitely not 50+. The one thing I've noticed since adding my SD Card is that it doesn't ask me to resubscribe/authenticate to the channel through my cable provider quite as often.

It used to happen on a couple of channels every other week or so, but I haven't had it happen once since adding it. I'm not sure if there is any correlation or just good luck. Maybe when it doesn't have to reload the channel, it doesn't trigger some reauth need, no clue. 

So far, it's just been a noticeable difference in loading the channels from a speed perspective, but not enough that would cause me to go out and buy one if I didn't already have one laying around. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Micari wrote:

totally get that! I use a lot of channels, but definitely not 50+. The one thing I've noticed since adding my SD Card is that it doesn't ask me to resubscribe/authenticate to the channel through my cable provider quite as often.

It used to happen on a couple of channels every other week or so, but I haven't had it happen once since adding it. I'm not sure if there is any correlation or just good luck. Maybe when it doesn't have to reload the channel, it doesn't trigger some reauth need, no clue. 

So far, it's just been a noticeable difference in loading the channels from a speed perspective, but not enough that would cause me to go out and buy one if I didn't already have one laying around. 

That might actually be a very valid reason. If they dump the authentication along with the channel itself when room is needed, that would absolutely cause the need to reauth. I guess I use the ones that need authentication enough they don't drop down the list enough to be removed. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos