Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Run Roku remotely?

Can you run Roku remotely?  My Mom has dementia and has lost the ability to turn on the TV or DVD. She loves to watch movies and I would love to be able to do it for her remotely (she lives in Sr Living).  If I purchase her a Roku TV, is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Run Roku remotely?

Very interesting question.  The simple answer is no not directly.  But you could use a VPN server/laptop at your mom's location.  You would need to configure the VPN correctly for your phone to remotely connect via the vpn to the local network at moms and also have Roku TV connected to that network.

Then you can sit back from anywhere in world you have phone data service .. login to mom's vpn with your phone and run the Roku Android app to control your mom's Roku TV.

If you never setup a VPN before or have no idea what VPN is this solution is not for you to experiment. You would need a knowledgeable networking professional or system admin to do the setup and configuration in a safe secure manner.

TheTick (aka "Moose Twit" affectionately called by chht)
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO GO. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for the info.  I am familiar with VPN (I have worked remotely) but had an IT team set it up for me.  I can get professional help though.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I made a longer reply but got an error from the roku site and it didn't post, lets try again.

I'm in the same boat with my dad, who is losing his ability to use the roku remote.  You'll need a wifi vpn device at your moms place and those are expensive, plus many vpn products are using the vpn full time and not selectively, so if she streams any video with a roku app, its going to go through the vpn and come from your network.  My dad also has a tendency to unplug or turn things off if he doesn't know what they are, or pile a blanket or laundry on things that die if they overheat.

I set his roku tv and bluray player to turn on automatically via CEC when a disk is inserted and both shut off automatically after no video input for a period of time, so all he has to do is stick the disk in the player, it auto plays the title, takes the disk out and everything will turn itself off.

It would be nice to be able to operate a roku remotely, with the appropriate security.

0 Kudos