Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KP6
Binge Watcher

Roku 2 suddenly no longer works on my Samsung TV

Hi, my Roku 2 suddenly stopped working properly. It is connected to a Samsung TV for about 2 years now and worked perfectly well until recently.

Suddenly, the connection was lost and the TV changed from the Roku to the aerial and started automatically scanning all aerial channels constantly and on a loop. The TV could no longer read Roku. I tried to change the Source to go back to the Roku. This worked once but then went back to the areal source and started scanning non stop.

I can no longer even select the Source, the constant scanning won’t stop and won’t let me do it. I connected the Roku 2 to another TV, also Samsung which until I connected it to Roku 2 worked perfectly. It worked to begin with but then within a few minutes I had exactly the same problems. Both my TVs are no longer working with or without the Roku. Please help! 

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Ruku 2 no longer works on my Samsung TV

That's very bizarre.  Try unplugging the power from the TV for several seconds and then plug it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

Thanks, I did this several times on both TVs. Still do not work unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

I agree it’s very bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that for some reason Samsung and Roku 2 stopped being compatible. I have now ordered a new Roku box, let’s see if it works. 

0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

New Roku does not work either ☹️
we have retuned the TV and it works fine without the Roku.

When we connect the Roku, it works for a couple of minutes or so and then loses the connection completely and starts going through the channel list on a loop.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@KP6 wrote:

New Roku does not work either ☹️
we have retuned the TV and it works fine without the Roku.

When we connect the Roku, it works for a couple of minutes or so and then loses the connection completely and starts going through the channel list on a loop.

This is truly weird. There's something else going on that we're missing.

Roku 2, depending on the model, is either around 8 years old, or 6 years old. That's a long time in streaming device years. If it's the model 2720, I'd suggest replacing it. If it's a model 4210, it's actually a Roku 3 on the inside, but still getting on in age.

It would be helpful to know which Roku 2 model you have, as they are very different devices.

Since you did replace the Roku, and the issue continues, that points away from Roku as the issue. What Roku did you get recently? Model number is very helpful.

Also, are you using the same HDMI cables to connect the Roku devices? If it's the HDMI cable that causing issues, then changing TVs or Roku devices might not resolve anything, if the bad part is still in the mix.

Let us know which Roku model numbers we're talking about and let's see if we can figure this out.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

The new Roku I use now is a Streaming Stick+

A few days ago I bought a new HDMI cable in case there was something wrong with it. Did not work either.

I do think that the Samsung TVs and Roku boxes stopped communicating with each other (there must be a technical term for this). 
The Rokus won’t work on any of my Samsung TVs. The TVs work ok otherwise. 

The Rokus are connected on the WiFi ok. I have fibreoptic connection with is very good. 
I am now thinking of buying a new TV. I will contact Samsung though to see if other customers had similar issues. 

0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

Where do I find the Roku model number? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@KP6 wrote:

Where do I find the Roku model number? 

On a Roku 2, it should be on the label on the bottom of the device.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
KP6
Binge Watcher

4205x1

0 Kudos