Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dualeieio
Streaming Star

Roku3 to Ultra: non-4k projector, can I use the old HDMI or must i change to the HDMI 2.0 cable...

Hi All:

i'm upgrading from my current Roku3 (~8 yrs old) to the newest Ultra).  all equipment on an AV rack with the Roku3 going to an Onkyo AVR (also ~ 8 yrs old) then to a projector (non-4K, 1080). 

as my current Roku3 is quite old and thus, the current plugged in HDMI that i'm using with my Roku3  must not be the latest gen of HDMI 2.0b (i.e. the provided HDMI cable in the Ultra box).

since my projector and my Onkyo AVR receiver are also roughly of that vintage, i.e. non 4K, merely 1080, is there any need for me to unplug the HDMI cable and swap to the new included (in box) HDMI 2.0 cable?  or, can i go for the convenience of merely unplugging the old HDMI at the Roku3 spot and just plug it right into the Ultra's rear HDMI port, despite the fact that the Ultra's HDMI port is HDMI 2.0 and the existing HDMI cable is NOT?

using the existing older HDMI cable (non-HDMI 2.0) would be much more convenient for me as it is in a cramped audio visual tower rack.

thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku3 to Ultra: non-4k projector, can I use the old HDMI or must i change to the HDMI 2.0 cab...

@Dualeieio

Thanks for the inquiry.

You could try using your current HDMI cable since your devices that you are connecting are older to see if everything works. However, in general we would always recommend using a higher quality HDMI cable when using the newer Roku device.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos