Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baileyam99
Reel Rookie

Roku won’t turn off TV

Just bought a Roku Express and I am having trouble with the TV Off shortcut. Roku will power on my TV but will not power it off. I have a 12 year old LG TV (37LH30). I have ensured that the “1-Touch Play” setting is enabled on my Roku and that LG Simplink is enabled in my tv. Is my tv simply too old to use the TV Off shortcut?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku won’t turn off TV

You have a Roku Express? Are you sure that's what you have? What's the model number? Settings > System > About

The reason I think you don't have an Express is that the Express comes with a simple IR remote, not the remote that controls TV power and volume. I'm wondering if you have the Express+ instead.

Assuming you have the Express+, you should go to Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [the correct remote] > Set up remote for TV control

Does that resolve it?

If not, here's where it gets complicated.

Get the remote that came with your TV. Ensure the power and volume work correctly with your actual TV remote.

Next, repeat the process to set up the Roku remote for the TV. Only, if it asks you if the remote silenced the music, use the TV remote to un-mute the music, then answer with "no." Continue the process, keeping in mind which setting you're trying? You may want to keep a count, as some TVs can have several attempts at setup. One time I had one pair on the fourth one, and I had to un-mute and tell it "no" three times through, adding a "no" each time. It can get confusing if you aren't careful.

Let us know how that worked out.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Baileyam99
Reel Rookie

I checked and I do have a Roku Express. The model number is 3930RW. The remote I have does not have a power button or any buttons to change the volume. I saw that there is a shortcut on my Home Screen that says “TV Off”. When I click it, it attempts to turn off the tv, displays a message that says the TV isn’t responding, then displays that the “TV CEC Control is disabled.” However, I have confirmed that my TV’s settings have that enabled. When my tv is off, if I press any button on my Roku remote, it will turn the TV on. My issue is that it, for some reason, will not turn the tv off through this shortcut. Is it just that the Express does not work with this feature? Or is this a malfunction of some kind?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Now that makes sense. The WiFi Direct remotes on the Express+, on the Stick devices, and on the Ultra boxes have separate TV controls for power and volume.

It appears that your TV does have some CEC control. When it detects activity from the HDMI port to which the Roku is connected, it awakens (it's not really off) and switches the input to that HDMI port if it's not already on it. Your pressing a button on the Roku remote causes the Roku to take an action (depending on the button) and that activity is what is detected, awakening the TV.

There may be a setting on your TV that allows you to turn CEC on or off. You'd have to look at your TV manual, or your TV manufacturer's Website for support on that. It may not even be possible, but that's where you would go.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."