Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brianm5150

Roku won’t allow me to goto home screen or connect to internet

So yesterday my roku worked as it should. Now today it is not working at all. Turn on with the remote and it goes to pick a language screen. So I go through the steps to get it going and I cannot connect to the internet. Error 14.40. So I google it, follow the steps and it still does nothing. Cannot get to see tings, cause it won’t let me goto the Home Screen. Now the pairing light on remote flashes and remote does nothing. New batteries just installed right now. I have restarted the tv, roku, internet router. I even did the hard factory reset on the roku and it still won’t work. 
pretty bad when roku won’t even answer your tech questions. 
anyone have any other ideas before I just toss it in the garbage?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Brianm5150

Re: Roku won’t allow me to goto home screen or connect to internet

Now the roku is stuck on remote pairing screen.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Brianm5150 

Which Roku device? Do you know the model number?

Some devices used to allow for on-board app storage expansion by insertion of a microSD card. If yours is one of those (one reason the model number is important), unplug the Roku, remove the card, and try again.

Other devices may have certain features that could impact the best options to try. If you can provide us the model number, that would be helpful.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Alexl1234
Reel Rookie

Hello, I have the same problem. The first time it's connected and I set WI-FI successful. (Roku streaming Stick 4K)

After restarting I'm getting set up language screen, but the Roku voice remote pair lamp is flashing, and no reacts any button. Please help.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Alexl1234 wrote:

... After restarting I'm getting set up language screen, but the Roku voice remote pair lamp is flashing, and no reacts any button. Please help.

When it hangs like that, I'd suggest resetting and starting over. Of course, be sure to follow all the instructions on the Roku remote setup page. Pressing/holding the reset button/pinhole (depending on model number) of the Stick for a full 30 seconds (with power applied, of course) will be needed to start it over.

But let's focus on this first part of your post.

@Alexl1234 wrote:

...The first time it's connected and I set WI-FI successful. (Roku streaming Stick 4K)...

So, you completed setup, then the remote lost connectivity? That could be a network issue, perhaps interference from some source. The Sticks are dual band, and such interference is more common on 2.4 GHz bands, but your device is be able to use 5 GHz band. Is your network transmitting on both bands?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Alexl1234
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your response. The problem is the Remote Control device. The pair led start blinking non stop, while I'm installing batteries. Never stop. How I can reset the remote? 

0 Kudos

I reset my Roku so it won’t update software and I got good internet it say can’t update software so what can I do

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Alexl1234 wrote:

Thanks for your response. The problem is the Remote Control device. The pair led start blinking non stop, while I'm installing batteries. Never stop. How I can reset the remote? 

If it's blinking when you put the batteries in, that because it's trying to connect to a device. The lights blink when it enters pairing mode.

It could indeed be the remote. It could be an issue with the Roku, or the network.

From what I'm reading, it leans towards the Roku. Either something is wrong with it, or someone started a Factory Reset process. If the latter, give the details of what was going wrong with the device to cause you to use that as an attempt to fix. That could hold the key to things.

If no Factory Reset was begun, then I'd suggest the device is bad. Return it. Either take it back to the store (quickest) or start an online return on the Roku Returns page.

DBDukes

0 Kudos