Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku will not update- error code 003

I have tried 3 different wifi networks, restated my Roku and router for the last 2 days and I cannot get past error code 003. I have a 4k Express

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku will not update- error code 003

@Displeased2579 

Try using a mobile hotspot if available to you to get past the update.

If the Roku device cannot connect to a mobile hotspot, as well as the other 3 different networks (assuming they are actually different, and not similarly configured), then likely there is an issue with the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply. I tried via wifi and bluetooth for my hotspot and neither would allow me to update. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Displeased2579 

Just to be clear, if you are able to connect to either the wifi connection or the hotspot connection and the Roku device will stream content (if setup and activated), then there could just be an issue with the Roku update server. (the normal origin of the 003 error).  However, I don't see any indicators that the servers are currently having an issue.

If you are not able to see the hotspot connection or the wifi networks while attempting to connect, then that indicates device issue.

If you are in US and seeing this error 003 with the various connection methods, then would lean toward a server issue.  However, since you are running into this over a couple of days, I would just swap the Roku device for a new one.  If the device is under a year, should qualify for warranty replacement. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)

0 Kudos
Joe9523
Channel Surfer

I've already posted and I tried everything my 4k express has worked for 2 years and no issues now I'm getting error 003 and I have 1100mbs and tried everything a couple total resets I can't get any pages on. No home screen and no path to get back to it except pull out the old Amazon stick

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Joe9523 

Did "everything" include trying to connect to an alternate network (friend or family internet) or a hotspot (if available to you)?

Kind of confused when you say no Home Screen, but getting a 003 error. (normally a Roku server error).  Can you be a littleore specific or post screenshot?

0 Kudos