Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Waffle_Time
Level 7

Re: Roku vs Chromecast

Hi there,

I have a Roku and a Chromecast as well and find the Roku to be superior in pretty much every way.

If you want to use your phone as a remote you can do that with either device. However if you want to just lay back and not deal with a phone and just have a little simple remote to browse channels and whatnot then you have to get the Roku for that since the Chromecast requires your phone.

Here is how it works if you want to use your phone as a remote with either device. Go into an app, for example YouTube and start playing a video. If the app supports casting it will show a cast button. Clicking this will pop up a window displaying a list of devices you can try to play the video on. You can choose Chromecast here or you can choose Roku here and any other devices and your video will start the app up on that device and start playing.

You can also cast to the Chromecast from a Chromium based browser like Chrome or Vivaldi if you want to cast your browser or even your entire desktop. For the Roku you can enable screen mirroring and you can cast your Windows screen to it that way. 

If you have your HDMI-CEC setup you might even be able to pause it and unpause and even stop it with your TV remote on the Chromecast. If you have a Roku you can do that with the Roku remote as well as fast-forward, rewind, sometimes do other things like get info or sometimes channels have additional functionality built into them. Some are actually even games like Angry Birds. Plus I believe the remote has a headphone jack and even a mic for voice searches. It's possible it might also be able to turn your TV on and off and adjust the volume with the Roku remote.

Also, managing settings on the Roku is much simpler than the Chromecast for me. For the Chromecast we have to use a Google Home app to manage it's settings and I always find it confusing where to find the settings I want for some reason. Recently they seem to have added a setting to change the slideshow speed which was defaulted to 1 second so the Chromecast was constantly using up all the bandwidth downloading new images every second. Took me awhile to figure out that was the issue and I don't think my roommate has even found his settings yet for his Chromecast to make sure it isn't using even more bandwidth.

There are also other ways to stream videos too. For example there are other types of streaming boxes out there as well and some may have similar features and many have their own remotes although some of the remotes aren't so simple and easy to use as the Roku remote. It's also possible to set a computer up to behave similarly since that's really what all of this is anyway is a bunch of computers playing videos. You could probably even set up your own with a Raspberry Pi or something if you were real ambitious and wanted to go the DIY route.

The only major issue I seem to be currently having with both devices is watching Twitch on them. If I want to watch it on the Chromecast I have to cast from my computer or use a 3rd party website to do it properly because the Android Twitch app is horrible and will use all my phone's resources for some reason and render it almost completely unusable until I close Twitch. As for the Roku, the official Twitch app seems to have been abandoned. The unofficial one was abandoned because the official one came along but now the official one is abandoned. So I found another one called Twitched but now it seems to have been shut down and isn't usable anymore which is pretty sad considering I paid for it. I'm not sure what's going on but it makes me wonder if Amazon are trying to force me to buy a Firestick which I won't do.

Anyway, I think that's about enough rambling for now. Best of luck!

It's Waffle Time!
0 Kudos

Chromecast is essential if you are in the Google Home ecosystem, even better if Logitech Harmony is part of the chain. Everything can be voice-controlled in that instance.

Beyond functionality discussions, Chromecast does deliver noticeably better video and audio reproduction than Roku. I've found that true in my experience, and several lab tests have shown that.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"scottypie1234" wrote:
Chromecast is essential if you are in the Google Home ecosystem, even better if Logitech Harmony is part of the chain. Everything can be voice-controlled in that instance.

Beyond functionality discussions, Chromecast does deliver noticeably better video and audio reproduction than Roku. I've found that true in my experience, and several lab tests have shown that.

I think video and audio are also better when using Amazon Fire, compared to streaming using my Roku TV
It's funny, the guts of the TV can display Amazon and Chromecast can display streaming at better quality than the Roku based streaming.. thinks look a little.crisper,.and blacks look a little blacker, when watching things like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 8

I was under the impression or I should say expectation, Roku stick could accomplish more than it's capable of, I've learned it's just an internet streaming device with an odd wireless remote, nothing appreciably more.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
I was under the impression or I should say expectation, Roku stick could accomplish more than it's capable of, I've learned it's just an internet streaming device with an odd wireless remote, nothing appreciably more.

I would highly you purchase a shield tv. You'd be very happy with that. It does have offline capabilities. It's a great device. And to make this relevant to the OP. It does have Chromecast as well. I use it mostly when I need High quality 4k with lossless DTS and Dolby formats Roku doesn't support. I think it's the modern replacement for the WDTV Live. I also like being able to us it to Stream PC Games like I am on a console.

To, the OP, this user is wanting offline capabilities on Roku, which is not relevant to your question.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
MWDXER
Level 11

The Chromecast has another advantage; at least for me. I have the Fire TV and it has two different browsers, Silk & Firefox. Both are fine except for one thing. Often on some apps, when I use a browser (no official channel for Fire TV available), I can be watching the app and it will kick off and go back to the Fire TV Home page. If I cast, I never have that issue.
0 Kudos
Will_Setter
Level 7

Hey guys In light of Google new release Stadia seems like its a no brainer in going for a Chromecast now as there is so much potential at your fingertips for only $10 a month. Feel like Roku gonna drop now or is the technology google trying to peddle gonna be a bust?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"trekkeriii" wrote:

I would highly you purchase a shield tv. You'd be very happy with that. It does have offline capabilities. It's a great device. And to make this relevant to the OP. It does have Chromecast as well. I use it mostly when I need High quality 4k with lossless DTS and Dolby formats Roku doesn't support. I think it's the modern replacement for the WDTV Live. I also like being able to us it to Stream PC Games like I am on a console.

I concur the Shield is an excellent player, and it does support every codec and container I've ever tried using. It's much more complicated to set up for local, offline viewing, as you need to first install Kodi, MrMC, or another player, then properly configure that player app for audio and video processing. And of course it's much more expensive than the highest priced Roku. So if ease of use is a factor, the Shield might not be the best choice. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Will_Setter" wrote:
Hey guys In light of Google new release Stadia seems like its a no brainer in going for a Chromecast now as there is so much potential at your fingertips for only $10 a month. Feel like Roku gonna drop now or is the technology google trying to peddle gonna be a bust?

Paying a monthly fee to make something easier to use doesn't fit into my cord-cutting, cost reduction model. I'm not familiar with Stadia, but if I have to pay a monthly fee to use it I'm not interested.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Will_Setter" wrote:

I'm guessing Roku's main consumer base really doesn't care about game streaming.  Sure there's some people that will go buy it because of the ability to play a game every now and again, but it's not their main customer.  I game, I looked, I'm not interested. 
0 Kudos