Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siamhie
Streaming Star

Roku version 10 update broke Emby

My Ultra 4800 just updated to version 10.0.0 build 4165-C2 and now Emby won't launch from the home screen. The Emby channel is on version 4 build 18.

It was working just fine last night when Roku was on version 9 (something).

:EDIT:

Just tried it on the box in the br and Emby launches. Roku 4640X version 9.4.0

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku version 10 update broke Emby

It seems that for some reason, users are reporting having Roku OS 10. That hasn't been released. It's only supposed to be available to Beta testers. Either you have changed the device update server to Beta, or some error from Roku caused it to be changed. If your device isn't in the Beta test group, neither should have happened.

[post edited]

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
siamhie
Streaming Star

That solution did the trick. I didn't sign up with any beta program from Roku, so I'm not sure why I was upgraded. The update screen looked like all the other update screens I've seen in the past and no-where did it state 'Beta' anywhere.

Thanks again 👍

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

RokuOS 10.0.0-4165 has been released (hence all the users that arent in the beta program reporting having it installed), and is available from both beta and release servers (though with normal staggered release cycles)/

It hasnt been officially announced however, for whatever reason (another bungled OS release).

FTR, the "beta" software update servers are what most Roku devices sold in the last several years default to for OS updates (this is by design, since we customers are the QA team for Roku, by Roku's own explicit admission).

Logan5
Binge Watcher

“...we customers are the QA team for Roku, by Roku's own explicit admission).”

Well, if that’s true then it would be nice to at least have some release notes so that we know what version 10 is supposed to do, so that we can report whether it’s actually working.  So far, total silence, and I haven’t found any obvious differences from 9.4 yet.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@StreamerUser wrote:

RokuOS 10.0.0-4165 has been released (hence all the users that arent in the beta program reporting having it installed), and is available from both beta and release servers (though with normal staggered release cycles)/

It hasnt been officially announced however, for whatever reason (another bungled OS release).

Are you not familiar with the concept of an error? Of a mistake? Something that was not supposed to happen did happen. Instructions were provided on how to undo Roku's mistake.

Roku OS 10 has not been released. It is in BETA. It is available to BETA group users. However, an error caused it to be placed on other machines. You seem to think an error means it was a release. That's not what that means. It means an error happened and some users got the software. 

Let me try this analogy that might help with your confusion. Let's say Person1 is in jail. He's scheduled for appear before the judge in the future, and it is expected that all requirements for release as determined by the state will have been met. If Person1 can show that all the state's requirements are met, the judge will order the release.

At the jail, one of the jailers makes an error and leaves a cell door open. And a cellblock door open. And both shakedown room doors open. And the kitchen access door open. And the kitchen back door open. And the kitchen gate unlocked. You see, this is a really incompetent jailer who should probably lose his job.

Anyway, a series of really stupid things happen, and Person1 exits through all of those doors, and is now loose. Has he been released? No, he has not been released. Stupid stuff happened and he got out. 

Not a perfect analogy, but you kinda get the idea maybe? OS 10 has not been released. But it got out. Never should have happened. But it did.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Logan5 wrote:

Well, if that’s true then it would be nice to at least have some release notes so that we know what version 10 is supposed to do, so that we can report whether it’s actually working.  So far, total silence, and I haven’t found any obvious differences from 9.4 yet.

Release notes are provided when software is released. OS 10 has not been released. See the jail analogy in previous post if necessary.

Those in BETA got the release notes, because they were supposed to get it. If you are not in the BETA group, you would not get the release notes because you were not supposed to bet the software. When OS 10 is released, the release notes will be posted.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Logan5 wrote:

“...we customers are the QA team for Roku, by Roku's own explicit admission).”

Dont expect much in the way of consumer/user "release notes" when it is officially announced - at best Roku will provide general descriptions of any new/significant functionality/changes.

E.g. https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-94

Don't expect any kind of detailed changelog or the like.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Logan5 @siamhie 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Beefsnack
Channel Surfer

EMBY channel crash problems

I'm currently having this same issue with EMBY but it's just kicking me straight back out to the main screen I've tried your delete and restart trick but that didn't work and I have a  Roku 4400X My Plex Server works as well as everything else just EMBY I must of reinstalled it at least 5x already and I'm really not in the mood to do a Factory just for 1 app, if there is a quick fix great, Was hoping someone had one here.

0 Kudos