Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tarapup

Roku user interfaces and easier accessibility

My brother is intellectually disabled and I was looking for a solution to replace his expensive cable tv. I bought a Roku but I am concerned that it will be hard for him to navigate. He did fine with the linear channel by channel style of regular cable, but Roku requires one to pick a provider, then use various interfaces to get to the show you want. Navigation is harder.

Am I missing something, like an easier way to navigate? He probably has ten to twenty shows he watches. Roku and it's dozens of providers have thousands. Is there a way to set this up and simplify it for him?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku user interfaces and easier accessibility

@Tarapup

Are you still using cable? Roku will work with apps that authenticate against cable, as you have seen, but Roku also has many other options.

There are some apps (Roku calls them channels, but I'm calling them apps) that offer a cable-like experience. Have you checked into Pluto TV, Xumo, Tubi, Roku Channel, and others? It's not the same as having cable insofar as the content is concerned, but operation is similar. Spend some time looking at some and see what interfaces you like and think would be best. https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/cable-alternative

Those I listed, and many others, are free.

Additionally, on each device, there are settings to turn certain features on and off. The movie store (buying, renting movies) can be hidden, as can many items in the left column menu (the vertical column). You can have as many or as few apps in the right menu (the main menu), and you can re-order them. You can turn off the ability to add apps from that menu. You can also add a PIN to the account to prevent apps from being added without the PIN. That would reduce confusion for someone not as familiar with the usage of the platform, as well a simply reduce clutter by removing things you just won't use. All of the that I never use, I turn off, to get rid of the clutter.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tarapup

Thank you for the response. The goal is to get rid of the cable and just use streaming. Cuts the cost from $215 to about $80 which is a lot more manageable for his fixed income. 

I'll take a look at your solutions. I have a fair idea what he likes to watch. The problem I saw before was that the DIY shows are on one app/channel, the cop show another, etc. But it's been a while since I last tried, maybe it'll be easier.

What I would like to see the Roku developers provide would be something where I could create a lineup for shows, like a channel lineup, and each entry would just point to an appropriate app/channel and show.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Tarapup 

Pluto TV has the ability to set up Favorites. I’ve used that. They are grouped at the top.

Roku Channel has favorites as well, just applied differently in the interface. They are a separate tab.

If the free apps work well enough, and the content is satisfactory, that could bring the price down even more. 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos