Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku unveils a new streaming player lineup, plus Roku OS 9.2 launch

"andyross" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:
"JohnBoy1" wrote:
Come on Roku,at least add Dolby Vision to your new Ultra....all other streamers have it...Apple Tv 4k stb have bite into your profits because they add features that people want ….Add Dolby vision,work on bettering the 24p and Atmos support and you will get those apple people back..

One possible reason for not having Dolby Vision and other high-end features is probably licensing fees. Apple can charge it's People of Good Streaming Taste tons of money and they will gladly pay it. Roku needs to hold a tighter line for the general population.

WHO EDITED MY POST! I had written "People of Good Streaming Taste", but somebody edited it to "People of Good Streaming Taste". NOT COOL!!!

Update: It looks like this forum is converting words to something else. I am try to use "f-a-n-b-o-y", but it's changing it! What is wrong with that word????

Lol, at one point, fan boy was a bad word around here. RokuShawn started this.. he's gone now, so maybe the new mods can get rid of that filter. Lol, your post and followup made me laugh though.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
kc1ih
Level 7

"blade_005" wrote:
I was hopeful that OS 9.2 might include a feature to allow GROUPS on the Home Screen.

I thought that Shortcuts might be that initially, but I don't think so. The ability to create groups for 'like' apps/channels would be quite useful in cleaning up the look and navigation of the Home Screen. (i.e. Group for Sports apps, Group for News apps, Group for Major Network apps, etc.)

I agree!
Larry
Hudson, FL
0 Kudos
JohnBoy1
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:
"JohnBoy1" wrote:
Come on Roku,at least add Dolby Vision to your new Ultra....all other streamers have it...Apple Tv 4k stb have bite into your profits because they add features that people want ….Add Dolby vision,work on bettering the 24p and Atmos support and you will get those apple people back..

One possible reason for not having Dolby Vision and other high-end features is probably licensing fees. Apple can charge it's People of Good Streaming Taste tons of money and they will gladly pay it. Roku needs to hold a tighter line for the general population.

They have it on their Roku TVs, so it's not like they don't pay the license fees already. Perhaps they should offer up a system whereby you could unlock features with a key (digital) - don't pay for it if you don't want it but pay for it if you do. Dolby Vision can be instituted now via software, vs just hardware.

The thing with a Roku TV that has DV (and not all do) is that they know the customer is using a device that is DV capable. So it's justifiable to pay the license. With the standalone players, they have no idea if the customer has a DV enabled display, so the license might be a waste of money, raising the price of the Roku with no benefit.
However, I would absolutely support the ability to pay an additional (one time) fee to enable some higher end functions. DV would certainly be one, as well as lossless audio bitstreaming. Come on Roku, you're missing a monetary opportunity here!

Roku just needs Dolby Vision on the Ultra and leave the other streamers on the line up the same as it is now for those that want to save money.
0 Kudos
gloop05
Level 7

Seems like a disappointing 2019 update (2018 and 2017 updates weren't much better either).
The Ultra still seems to have the same processor as before (the speed benefits seem to be from the 9.2 software fast app launch thing).  I doubt they fixed the issues where the wifi remote control just stops responding.  And still no Dolby Vision.
And they added even more models?  Good thing I just buy Ultras because I wouldn't know where to begin if I didn't.
Hardware wise the new Fire TV Cube blows this out of the water.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

Fire TV certainly blows Roku out of the water from a UK point of view, from the press release Roku are launching these

• Roku Express: MSRP £ 29.99

• Roku Premiere: MSRP £ 39.99

• Roku Streaming Stick+: MSRP £ 49.99

Compared to Fire TV:
Fire TV Stick £39.99
Fire TV Stick (4K)  £49.99
Fire TV cube £109.99

Roku in the UK should have gone with
 Express aggresivly priced  at £25 ( vs fire tv stick at £40)
 Stick+ at £45
 Ultra at £100
0 Kudos