Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blade_005
Level 11

Re: Roku unveils a new streaming player lineup, plus Roku OS 9.2 launch

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
I wonder if the new OS will also allow reprogramming of existing remote buttons?

I doubt it.

It appears from the pictures included in preview articles that they are adding two (2) buttons to the remote for the ROKU ULTRA that can be programmed to shortcuts you create. If companies are still willing to pay for dedicated buttons, Roku will not give that up.

New Roku ULTRA Remote Image
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

I was hopeful that OS 9.2 might include a feature to allow GROUPS on the Home Screen.

I thought that Shortcuts might be that initially, but I don't think so. The ability to create groups for 'like' apps/channels would be quite useful in cleaning up the look and navigation of the Home Screen. (i.e. Group for Sports apps, Group for News apps, Group for Major Network apps, etc.)
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
JohnBoy1
Level 7

Come on Roku,at least add Dolby Vision to your new Ultra....all other streamers have it...Apple Tv 4k stb have bite into your profits because they add features that people want ….Add Dolby vision,work on bettering the 24p and Atmos support and you will get those apple people back..
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I feel over the past couple of years that Roku is just playing the shell game with its offerings..

Taking a feature away here, adding it there and calling it an exclusive.. taking away a along ports on one model but throwing in an enhanced remote.. And the only new features to the players are faster processors and a slightly improved OS.

If cell phone companies did this, they'd only sell a new phone to you every 6 to 8 years..

Please innovate more, or you'll fall further behind Amazon and Apple's hardware. The main UI is also very, very old now.

Don't get me wrong, I still recommend Roku's to friends and family, but with the hackability, speed and Bluetooth capabilities of the Fire Sticks, I am thinking of slow migrating away.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

You will notice that none of the Second Generation Rokus are on the list to get Roku 9.2 (except for the 3500 Streaming Stick). So, keep that in mind if you have a Roku 2 XS/XD/HD, Roku LT, Roku HD, and the old Roku MHL Streaming Stick.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"jeffrok" wrote:
I feel over the past couple of years that Roku is just playing the shell game with its offerings..

Taking a feature away here, adding it there and calling it an exclusive.. taking away a along ports on one model but throwing in an enhanced remote.. And the only new features to the players are faster processors and a slightly improved OS.

If cell phone companies did this, they'd only sell a new phone to you every 6 to 8 years..

Please innovate more, or you'll fall further behind Amazon and Apple's hardware. The main UI is also very, very old now.

Don't get me wrong, I still recommend Roku's to friends and family, but with the hackability, speed and Bluetooth capabilities of the Fire Sticks, I am thinking of slow migrating away.

If it weren't for Plex - and the only Plex UNO app for worth a hoot (the one for Roku) - I'd have been gone long ago. I don't use Roku for ANYTHING ELSE. There's not even a Weather Radar App worth installing on Roku and if you think about it, that's pretty sad.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

"JohnBoy1" wrote:
Come on Roku,at least add Dolby Vision to your new Ultra....all other streamers have it...Apple Tv 4k stb have bite into your profits because they add features that people want ….Add Dolby vision,work on bettering the 24p and Atmos support and you will get those apple people back..

One possible reason for not having Dolby Vision and other high-end features is probably licensing fees. Apple can charge it's fanboys tons of money and they will gladly pay it. Roku needs to hold a tighter line for the general population.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"andyross" wrote:
"JohnBoy1" wrote:

One possible reason for not having Dolby Vision and other high-end features is probably licensing fees. Apple can charge it's People of Good Streaming Taste tons of money and they will gladly pay it. Roku needs to hold a tighter line for the general population.

They have it on their Roku TVs, so it's not like they don't pay the license fees already. Perhaps they should offer up a system whereby you could unlock features with a key (digital) - don't pay for it if you don't want it but pay for it if you do. Dolby Vision can be instituted now via software, vs just hardware.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

"andyross" wrote:
"JohnBoy1" wrote:

One possible reason for not having Dolby Vision and other high-end features is probably licensing fees. Apple can charge it's People of Good Streaming Taste tons of money and they will gladly pay it. Roku needs to hold a tighter line for the general population.

WHO EDITED MY POST! I had written "fanboys", but somebody edited it to "People of Good Streaming Taste". NOT COOL!!!

Update: It looks like this forum is converting words to something else. I am try to use "f-a-n-b-o-y", but it's changing it! What is wrong with that word????
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"andyross" wrote:
"JohnBoy1" wrote:

They have it on their Roku TVs, so it's not like they don't pay the license fees already. Perhaps they should offer up a system whereby you could unlock features with a key (digital) - don't pay for it if you don't want it but pay for it if you do. Dolby Vision can be instituted now via software, vs just hardware.

The thing with a Roku TV that has DV (and not all do) is that they know the customer is using a device that is DV capable. So it's justifiable to pay the license. With the standalone players, they have no idea if the customer has a DV enabled display, so the license might be a waste of money, raising the price of the Roku with no benefit.
However, I would absolutely support the ability to pay an additional (one time) fee to enable some higher end functions. DV would certainly be one, as well as lossless audio bitstreaming. Come on Roku, you're missing a monetary opportunity here!
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos