Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Roku unveils a new streaming player lineup, plus Roku OS 9.2 launch

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/19/roku- ... -2-launch/

There is one paragraph I found particularly intriguing:

This remote has been upgraded, too, with personal shortcut buttons that can be mapped to any Roku voice command. For example, you could say “Watch Disney+” or “Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine” or “play jazz on Pandora” and make that one of your buttons.

I wonder if the new OS will also allow reprogramming of existing remote buttons?

Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Bacon
Level 9

Re: Roku unveils a new streaming player lineup, plus Roku OS 9.2 launch

Still no players with Dolby Vision.

Disappointing.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"Bacon" wrote:

Disappointing.

People keep saying this is important but I do not personally know of even one person that uses it or knows what it actually is or desires it. Those that want it seem quite assertive that it has value for them but I have never really seen any good reason for such assertiveness. It just seems to me a small niche that will be replaced again and again as time passes.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

One thing I noticed on the new top level Ultra. Under the videos supported, they have this: 

H.264/AVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), H.265/HEVC (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV); VP9 (.MKV)

What is suspiciously absent is H.262/MPEG-2. Since they added H.262 support over a year ago, I'm wondering if someone did a copy/paste for this announcement and overlooked that. If they truly removed H.262 again, that just makes the Roku even less desirable for my home. The majority of my ripped videos are DVD, which are all MPEG-2 video. But I suspect the announcement is inaccurate. Wouldn't be the first time... :roll:
DV isn't a priority for me, as my 4K TVs only support HDR/HDR+/HLG. But I know it is for others. Even Nvidia hasn't added it yet to the Shield. Makes me wonder what Dolby is charging for a license. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"Bacon" wrote:

Disappointing.

People keep saying this is important but I do not personally know of even one person that uses it or knows what it actually is or desires it. Those that want it seem quite assertive that it has value for them but I have never really seen any good reason for such assertiveness. It just seems to me a small niche that will be replaced again and again as time passes.

You don't know anyone who uses HDR? HDR is a far more important upgrade than 4K is. And Dolby Vision is the most advanced HDR format out there now. Roku has seen fit to offer it in their Roku TV line up. Amazon has implemented Dolby Vision HDR in their 4K Sticks and set tops. Apple TV 4th gen has it. Chromecast Ultra has it. Why would they all do that if it's so "niche"?  
twiceover
Level 11

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"Bacon" wrote:

Disappointing.

You don't know anyone who uses HDR? HDR is a far more important upgrade than 4K is. And Dolby Vision is the most advanced HDR format out there now. Roku has seen fit to offer it in their Roku TV line up. Amazon has implemented Dolby Vision HDR in their 4K Sticks and set tops. Apple TV 4th gen has it. Chromecast Ultra has it. Why would they all do that if it's so "niche"?  

I think what they are getting at is DV implementation of HDR isn't as common as just HDR.  Are there any streaming services that offer DV?
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"Bacon" wrote:

Disappointing.

From my understanding Dolby Vision may support HDR but it is NOT HDR. Also just because some minor players have it does not mean it should be supported by all devices. It is both unnecessary and redundant.
If Roku chooses to support it that is OK but if they do not that is OK too.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:

From my understanding Dolby Vision may support HDR but it is NOT HDR. Also just because some minor players have it does not mean it should be supported by all devices. It is both unnecessary and redundant.
If Roku chooses to support it that is OK but if they do not that is OK too.

Dolby Vision is absolutely HDR. It's Dolby's proprietary HDR format. It differs from standard (non-proprietary) HDR10 in several ways. It can produce a much brighter image, it's 12-bit color vs HDR10's 10-bit color (resulting in billions of different color combos),  it's "dynamic" (where each scene can be mastered for accurate shading) vs. HDR10's static "let the TV decide what to show" format, and it's backward-compatible to standard HDR-10. In other words, if you have a Dolby Vision device, you can also get standard HDR10 HDR.  

As for "minor players", are you saying anything but Roku streamers are minor players?  I'm not sure I get that. 

"twiceover" wrote:

I think what they are getting at is DV implementation of HDR isn't as common as just HDR.  Are there any streaming services that offer DV?

Yes - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu and iTunes. 

Good article about HDR, and what sets Dolby Vision apart:  Dolby Vision HDR
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bacon
Level 9

It's just ridiculous that Roku's top of the line "Ultra" player doesn't support Dolby Vision when you can buy a Fire TV Stick 4k on sale for $35 right now that supports DV.

I understand not having the entire lineup support it, but your premium player not having it? At least they threw you a couple customizable buttons this time I guess...
ghb51
Level 9

I wonder if the new OS will also allow reprogramming of existing remote buttons?

Seems possible that their (netflix, sling etc) agreement for those buttons could have been based on a limited time frame that would allow it, or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.
0 Kudos