Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umlcowboy
Reel Rookie

Roku ultra 4660x vs ultra 2022

Jump to solution

i have a new Sony a80j oled and observe better picture quality (sharpness predominantly) when the signal source is the Ethernet cable plugged directly into the back of the TV as opposed to the source being my 4660x ultra. I have messed with everything (Sony HDMI enhanced mode, swapping HDMI cables from Roku to TV, and the list goes on). The Roku is set up to detect picture parameters automatically and chooses the correct one (4k hdr10 60fps, or something like that).

Assuming my setup is tuned perfectly, my question is this, should there be any improvement in picture quality by moving to ultra 2022? Yes, dolby vision is available in the 2022, but I sense that dolby vision will offer some better fine tuning with respect to color, contrast, etc, as opposed to improving sharpness?

I also read that later ultras than my own have speed improvements (navigation) due to added ram, but my main motivation is picture quality and watching YouTube, for example, with the same picture quality using ultra as I do with using my input source being an Ethernet cable plugged into the back of my TV. 

I have not seen this question posted, did my best to look, and emphasize that my question is not rooted in laziness!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku ultra 4660x vs ultra 2022

Jump to solution

Overall picture quality should be pretty much the same with the 4660 and the 4802 (it's not really a 2022 model, but it is the most recent version of the Ultra). As you noted, Dolby Vision is available on the newer player, and if you have a DV TV I strongly recommend using a DV capable player. There's no question it looks better than SDR, and depending on the title can look better than HDR10 as well. No, not sharper, but with the improved color and brightness you would probably think it's "better looking". 

The 4660 was released in Oct 2017, has the ARM Cortex A53 processor, 1GB of operational memory and 512MB of channel storage. The 4800/02 has the Realtek 1319 processor (noticeably faster), 2GB operational memory and 4GB of channel storage. The 480x also has a Dolby Digital encoder, in case your AVR doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus, so it can re-encode the DD+ to DD. 

Personally, I wouldn't buy a player that was released 5 years ago, as that's a long time in electronic years. 😄 

Note that if you buy a new Ultra from Walmart, it will likely be the 4801, which isn't the same as the 4800/4802. It uses the 1315 processor (same as the Express 4K+), loses the USB port and the DD encoder. Has the same memory though.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@umlcowboy 

I'm not going to disagree with what @atc98092 but a clarification might be in order. The model 4801 to which he refers is the Roku Ultra LT. That is only sold at Walmart and is exactly as he described. It will actually include "LT" on the box.

However, some stores also carry the 4802, including my local Walmart which has them in stock. However, I would suggest picking it off the shelf yourself, rather than ordering online or as a pickup item, as the store may have the older Ultra in stock as well, and a well-meaning stock clerk could make an error. Simply look for the model number on the box. It will probably have a suffix, likely RW (4802RW). The suffix is the distribution channel only, so a 4802 is a 4802 is a 4802.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Jump to solution

Overall picture quality should be pretty much the same with the 4660 and the 4802 (it's not really a 2022 model, but it is the most recent version of the Ultra). As you noted, Dolby Vision is available on the newer player, and if you have a DV TV I strongly recommend using a DV capable player. There's no question it looks better than SDR, and depending on the title can look better than HDR10 as well. No, not sharper, but with the improved color and brightness you would probably think it's "better looking". 

The 4660 was released in Oct 2017, has the ARM Cortex A53 processor, 1GB of operational memory and 512MB of channel storage. The 4800/02 has the Realtek 1319 processor (noticeably faster), 2GB operational memory and 4GB of channel storage. The 480x also has a Dolby Digital encoder, in case your AVR doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus, so it can re-encode the DD+ to DD. 

Personally, I wouldn't buy a player that was released 5 years ago, as that's a long time in electronic years. 😄 

Note that if you buy a new Ultra from Walmart, it will likely be the 4801, which isn't the same as the 4800/4802. It uses the 1315 processor (same as the Express 4K+), loses the USB port and the DD encoder. Has the same memory though.

Dan

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@umlcowboy 

I'm not going to disagree with what @atc98092 but a clarification might be in order. The model 4801 to which he refers is the Roku Ultra LT. That is only sold at Walmart and is exactly as he described. It will actually include "LT" on the box.

However, some stores also carry the 4802, including my local Walmart which has them in stock. However, I would suggest picking it off the shelf yourself, rather than ordering online or as a pickup item, as the store may have the older Ultra in stock as well, and a well-meaning stock clerk could make an error. Simply look for the model number on the box. It will probably have a suffix, likely RW (4802RW). The suffix is the distribution channel only, so a 4802 is a 4802 is a 4802.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

umlcowboy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rleadlie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

By 480x you mean 4800x, right? Because that is the only model I could find with that number. I just want to be sure as I am looking for a streaming player that can decode Dolby digital plus.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@rleadlie wrote:

By 480x you mean 4800x, right? Because that is the only model I could find with that number. I just want to be sure as I am looking for a streaming player that can decode Dolby digital plus.

No, he is referring to all the models that start with 480. Right now, there's three: 4800, 4801 and 4802. The 4801 is sold by Walmart, and I'm not certain it has the DD decoder. The 4640, 4800 and 4802 I know for certain does. 

Dan