Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeaz123
Level 7

Roku subtitle support

Hi, I was curious if Roku will display subtitles in a container like MKV?  I cannot figure out how to get them displayed. I know that subtitles are supported if the srt file is in the same folder with the same name as the video.  Is there a video player app that might be make the subtitles selectable?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgrace
Level 10

Re: Roku subtitle support

Roku Media Player does what you describe. It will play subtitles embedded into an MKV file or in same folder if named identically, and will display for MP4 files this way as well (just not embedded).
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
mikeaz123
Level 7

I will have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.  It doesn't on my TV which is about a year old.  I will watch a MKV that I know has embedded subtitles in the container, and I can select those subtitles on VLC on my computer but when the same file plays on the TV, no subtitles.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Roku players only support text based subtitles. If your embedded subs are image based (as virtually all DVD and Blu Ray rips are), they cannot be displayed by any Roku player. The only app/channel I know that will display these subs is Plex. And of course Plex requires a Plex server running somewhere on your network to stream the videos. At least it's a no cost option. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 10

You have subtitles enabled in Roku Media Player? How about the TV?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos