Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku streambar power

Can the new stream bar be powered by plugging into the USB on the back of the television or does it require its own power source?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku streambar power

Most tv USB ports don't have sufficient power to reliably operate a Roku that is only a streaming device.  The power needs of a combined streaming device and sound amplifier would be considerably higher.  Plug it into house power.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

And I would like to know if the streambar powers down -  is there an on/off switch or a button on the remote?  If it was USB powered then  no problem, but if USB isnt an option , how does it power down when not in use?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

ROKU----how much power is required from a USB port ?   My Samsung tv powers the Roku express just fine and I like that it powers down when I turn the tv off

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

I probably should have said "some" tv USB ports don't put out adequate power for a Roku, rather than "most". Also the USB ports on some tvs turn off with the tv, on others they stay active.

I'm just a user, and don't have an Express to check, but my Rokus came with adapters rated as putting out 1 amp. The original USB spec only called for 0.5 amp and that's what a lot of tvs still deliver. This may be adequate for some operations of the Roku but may not be enough when there are higher power requirements for some operations, like coping with weakened wifi signals, higher bitrate transmissions, etc.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

AHA, just found out from Samsung that my TV USB puts out 1amp, now to find out the  amperage need of a streambar---Thank You

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Have you seen the power brick that comes with this thing?  It has a separate power connection on the back; it doesn't use the USB port for power.

https://www.roku.com/products/audio/roku-streambar

0 Kudos