Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TNRandy
Level 7

Roku software update vs. DirecTV remote volume controls

I am looking for a resolution to a problem Roku has admitted to but as of a month later, has done nothing to correct.  I have a TCL Roku TV that has DirecTV service on.  I went to bed one night early in July with everything working perfectly on the remote control.  I woke up the next day with the DirecTV remote having no volume control.  Overnight, the TV had received an update from Roku.  I contacted TCL who told me they have no control over the software updates, that it all comes from Roku.  I contacted them and after essentially arguing with them for about 2 hours that there was a bug in the update, I gave up.  Because I had done the contacting via their online chat, I got a follow up email a few days later wondering if the problem was all good and if they could close the case.  I told them no, it was not all good and until they admitted that there was a bug in their update, we had nothing further to discuss.  A few days later, I got another email finally admitting that it indeed was a Roku error, and they were supposedly working feverishly to correct the problem.  A month later, here I sit with no corrective action taken by Roku.

I have since learned that this is a common problem across several brands of Roku tvs, so I'm hoping someone can chime in here with a fix to the problem or tell me if I can revert back to the previous software version.  I know that in life there are way more important things than this but, it is aggravating to have to search for two remotes now instead of just one.  I have to use the OEM remote for volume control and DirecTV remote for all other functions.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Re: Roku software update vs. DirecTV remote volume controls

If the oem remote still controls the roku tv, then the update didn't change the IR for the volume commands. First try the following on your Directv remote:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 6 3
4. press Ch DOWN

Try the volume commands, if doesn't work:

Try a code search on the directv remote by volume, so with tv on, volume up but muted, do the following:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 9 9 1, wait two blinks
4. enter 1
5. press and release VOL UP
6. point the remote at the tv and keep pressing and releasing the CH UP key, if and when the volume changes
7. press select to lock in code
0 Kudos
TNRandy
Level 7

Following the second set of instructions, I can get the volume to intermittently be affected by the directv remote but when I hit select to lock in the code, the volume/mute controls go back to being dead.  

The reasons I know it was an update that caused this problem are; 
1. Roku themselves admitted it, after going back and forth with them over several days.
2. The night I went to bed and the volume controls operated correctly is the night that the update occurred, and thus the next day, the volume controls were dead.
3. I know they did something to the volume programming as the volume bar that was displayed on the tv has changed to a volume circle. 

Roku needs to get it together.  This is a widespread problem they have created and if I'm going to remember this the next time I'm in the market for a new TV, I would say they is a large amount of other people (every DirecTv customer) that will too. 
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

The roku update didn't effect oem remote, other universal remotes. But with the stupid extra signal white directv remotes add to each button press, the combination of roku update & extra signal added by directv remote results in no volume commands. When you do a code search the extra signal is missing, but comes back when locked in.

I know directv remotes very well, do google search Tivoburkee and Att , you'll found over 40 pages of my posts dealing with these remotes. I was "Tech Know Guide"  for over 10 years on their forums.
0 Kudos
TNRandy
Level 7

First, thank you for your response, and for being willing to share your knowledge.  Second, is there a direct remote that does work properly that can take the place of the RC 64, RC 65, RC 66X that I have now?  I have a Direct H25 receiver.

I guess I should get over my white Direct remote addiction.....
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

All the white remotes have extra signal sent with the volume command, which is the reason the volume commands aren't working any longer. That and upgrade to roku tv making them more sensitive to commands it excepts. Newer Directv remotes like the smaller rc7* series uses a different RF frequency. It will control your H25 via IR though. I'd switch to universal remote.
0 Kudos
bignana
Level 7

I sure hope someone will post something that will help my DirectV volume control work.  I have a brand new TCL Roku smart TV.  The only way to control the volume on the television programs (which I watch much more than Netflix) is to use the Roku remote control.  I spent an hour on the phone with DirectV this morning, trying to re-program my remote to get the volume to work, to no avail.  Everything else on this remote works.  (PS: I don't know what a "white remote" is.  I have one that's off-white and quite old, but it works fine, except for this issue!)
This is not a tragedy, but an annoyance.... Is there any hope?  Must I purchase a universal remote? 
I see from posts in 2018 that Roku was working on this issue.  Have they solved it?
I'd appreciate any advice. 
0 Kudos
Kathie
Level 7

Oddly enough I was having the same problem but it was intermittent...as in it would work a couple of times and then not. I have searched everywhere as to a solution and on the Roku sight I looked again and saw a comment about something near the tv that might block the signal from the remote. We had placed a closed laptop under the TV so standing up turning the TV on it worked but sitting the angle was different. Moved the laptop and problem solved. Obviously this isn’t a fix for most cases but thought i would throw it out just in case.

0 Kudos