Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sqlb3rn
Level 8

Roku signing me up for services and installing applications without my authorization

Roku keeps automatically installing channels I don't want. Even worse, they just gave out my email address and signed me up for FandangoNOW without my consent. I have never heard of this service, don't want it, and did not receive any notification that I would be signed up for it, had no chance to opt out, and the same goes for the random channels they install that I always rate 1 star before uninstalling.

How can I stop my Roku player from doing this nonsense?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku signing me up for services and installing applications without my authorization

Did you call someone to activate your Roku and possibly pay them?  Is the email address that's shown under Settings->About the one you expect to see?  Note that any channel/app added to one Roku will get added to all Rokus linked to the same account. Check to see how many devices you have linked to your account at https://my.roku.com

You should add a PIN to your account at https://my.roku.com/account/pin

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sqlb3rn
Level 8

Re: Roku signing me up for services and installing applications without my authorization

No I did not call or pay anyone, my email is correct.

Today they added fubo TV to my channel list without warning or authorization. I am really angry they keep doing this.

I changed my PIN preferences to require it when adding channels... will see if that stops it, thanks.

Edit: Well I found another thread about this. Roku's answer is they don't automatically add channels, and they insist it must be the user doing it somehow. This is nonsense, if that's the case then they have a bug that needs to be fixed. The users in the thread I found also required a PIN... and while that did stop the channels from being added automatically, it popped up a PIN request box every time it attempted to install one which is not a great fix. This is regarding the Roku Express unit, in the other thread they seem to think it's related to the advertising screen saver. I will try changing the screensaver and see if it stops, they may have a bug in their advertising feature for the Express firmware.

It is definitely not user error, and extremely unlikely to be a "hacker" or unauthorized user.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Level 10

Did you check the devices linked to your account as suggested.  Sure sounds like someone has access to your account.  I have never had a channel added and I have had a Roku account for years.

0 Kudos
sqlb3rn
Level 8

Yes I did; there are no unknown devices linked to the account. It is highly unlikely someone would have guessed my password, or that they would install random apps that cannot be used. I never had issues for years either, until I got the Express unit.

I just uninstalled the Roku app on my phone, perhaps that is the issue... we'll see.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Another thing to consider. If you have a neighbor close enough to connect to your wifi, a Roku app on THEIR phone could connect to YOUR Roku, either through ignorance or maliciousness.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
sqlb3rn
Level 8

My neighbors are too far away to pick up signal, and I have the gain turned down on my router anyway. Also the SSID is not broadcast and it has a secure password. No unknown devices have connected to my router or roku account.

Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos