Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mazz
Level 11

Roku scam in Guest Mode?

So, one of our Roku users turned on Guest mode on her Roku, and made a custom message, is this possible how scammers trick people?127840750_1038639173266980_8169444404175545651_o.jpg

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
Rolanda
Level 7

Re: Roku scam in Guest Mode?

It was me who posted the pic. I set up guest mode and created the message. 

I was able to do this by going to my Roku account online, create a PIN, create the deactivation message, and put the Roku into Guest Mode so that this screen shows up every time the Roku is powered on.

My theory is that scammers buy Rokus, link the device to a fake account so that they can put it in Guest Mode, and then return them. It's not that difficult to make a package "look" unopened for returns. The next person who gets their "new" Roku sees this customized message on the screen that the scammers created when the Roku is first plugged in and just follow the on-screen instruction.

By the way, that is a real scammer number.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That's pretty slick and a little scary, but how realistic is it?  How many Rokus could a scammer buy and return?  It's much easier to rely on Google's help to direct naive Internet users to a scam website.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rolanda
Level 7

Someone else suggested that scammers may buy Rokus in bulk, alter them, and sell back to stores for less than wholesale because they will likely make more money back in scams. I was able to alter the message on-screen to direct people to a website, too. 

www.RokuScammer.comwww.RokuScammer.com

Amcneese
Level 7

Yes this is what I am experiencing sure this ain't the third party 

@Mazz wrote:

So, one of our Roku users turned on Guest mode on her Roku, and made a custom message, is this possible how scammers trick people?127840750_1038639173266980_8169444404175545651_o.jpg

0 Kudos
renojim

That is definitely a scam and you must have received a returned TV if you're seeing that.

0 Kudos
Amcneese
Level 7

I thought this was ro help me get this guest mode off of all 3 of my TV'S these people have access to my tv

0 Kudos
Amcneese
Level 7

No I call a number and got 3rd party and explained my subscription was up and I gave my email address and my password and he stated I need to update and get a new subscription for 85.00 for 5yrs or 99.00 for a lifetime its covid-19 and money ain't just sitting at my door he froze my TVs with the Guest mode I have had one 2 years 1 going on 1 yrs and I just got one but this didn't happen until I spoke to this guy 

0 Kudos
renojim

So you gave him access to your account at my.roku.com and now he's holding your TVs hostage?  Can you log in at https://my.roku.com?  I'm guessing the scammer already changed your password, but if not log in and change your password.

You should be able to proceed with guest mode - select the "Get started" button - and choose today or tomorrow as the date you want it to end.  Once it ends, perform a factory reset, create a new Roku account with a different email address if you couldn't change the password on your existing account, and this time don't call anyone to activate/link.  Come back here if you need help.

If you gave the scammer any credit card information then you'll want to cancel that card.  If you use the same password and email address on any other account you'll want to immediately change those passwords.

0 Kudos