Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Roku says microsd card not nessesary, now 9.3.0 build 4170-17 reloading all apps all the time

A couple weeks ago this new firmware (9.3.0) caused all my roku's (3 ea) to error out (constant rebooting with microsd cards) until I removed them.  Upon testing, all the cards reported defective after running for well over a year, where another set of sdcards had also been rendered useless when firmware 9.2.0 rolled out.when I complained, a roku tech replied I didn't need the additional memory despite the unit complaining every time I needed to reload a channel/app.

Now all of a sudden this morning, every time i change apps the units have to reload, like there us no memory.  I rebooted the units to no avail, they act like there is little to no memory, except that they di seem to remember my login credentials us all, but go through a complete reload of the channel code, even if I had just been in that channel right before.

I bought into roku first some 4 years ago, but this is just about the final straw, major problems every time a new firmware us rolled out causing many apps to become shaky while others become unusable.  This last update 9.3.0 I've spent the last three weeks complaining to both roku and the channel programmers and finally got most if them working where they were with 9.2.0 and now this reloading all the time.  

I think it's about time to try out a firetv box and see if the programmers there can keep things running.  It will cost me several hundred to replace things but maybe the programmers aren't totally deficient.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku says microsd card not nessesary, now 9.3.0 build 4170-17 reloading all apps all the time

As I understand it, roku puts the apps on the internal storage until it runs out.  It will then put some of the channels as icons, but has to download it on run and 'remove' another one.  If you have a microsd card, it'll put the excess channels there.

What sort of SD card did you use that failed?  Some SD cards aren't meant for random read/write loads for extended periods of time.  See forums and reviews for dash cams.  Only a select group of sd cards will last more than a year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku says microsd card not nessesary, now 9.3.0 build 4170-17 reloading all apps all the time

Which SD cards are reliable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I like sandisk and samsung, and avoid buying them on ebay as they're often fakes with a tiny bit of the alleged storage room.  Ultra, Evo or High Endurance models. The high endurance ones last a very, very long time.

0 Kudos