Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku restarting itself

Hello, my roku express has been working perfectly on my insignia tv (model# NS-39D400NA14) I was recently given another tv which is an Emerson (model# LF501EM5F) and now my roku keeps restarting itself randomly when I am in any of my streaming apps (Netflix Hulu or Disney+) sometimes it happens right away other times I can watch an episode or two before it restarts. I have tried unplugging the tv, unplugging the roku, factory reset on the roku, checked the WiFi, and turning off the bandwidth and nothing had worked. I’m not sure if this type of roku is just not compatible with the Emerson tv but I have literally tired everything and nothing on google works. I just ordered another roku express so maybe that will work. Please help. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku restarting itself

@HelpMe5 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

@HelpMe5 wrote:

Hello, my roku express has been working perfectly on my insignia tv (model# NS-39D400NA14) I was recently given another tv which is an Emerson (model# LF501EM5F) and now my roku keeps restarting itself randomly when I am in any of my streaming apps (Netflix Hulu or Disney+) sometimes it happens right away other times I can watch an episode or two before it restarts. I have tried unplugging the tv, unplugging the roku, factory reset on the roku, checked the WiFi, and turning off the bandwidth and nothing had worked. I’m not sure if this type of roku is just not compatible with the Emerson tv but I have literally tired everything and nothing on google works. I just ordered another roku express so maybe that will work. Please help. 

According to the specs on the insignia tv (model# NS-39D400NA14), your USB port on the back of it puts out at least 1 amp of power, which was enough to power your Roku Express. However, because you have switched to the Emerson (model# LF501EM5F), the specs on it list the USB port output power as only 500 milliamps. The Roku Express requires a minimum of 1 amp of current to operate. 500 milliamps won't cut it and using that amount of current will definitely cause your Roku Express device to constantly reboot whilst streaming apps. See this support article for more info on low power. You're not alone. I experienced the same thing whilst trying out several spare phone charger adapters that I had collected over the years for my new Roku Express back when I first set mine up several months ago. Mine didn't come with a power adapter. You're going to need to either use a phone charger that has both a 1 amp output with a micro-B type end or you can order a power adapter from the Roku Accessories store instead. Most phone chargers have a label or an imprint that lists power specs on them. Look for either 1 amp or 1000 mA on it. 1000 milliamps is equal to 1 amp.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@HelpMe5 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

More then likely @HelpMe5 is using the TV's USB port to power his Roku Express device. I'd say that's why he's listed both TV models in his question. The specs for the insignia tv (model# NS-39D400NA14) show the USB output power as 1 amp whilst the specs for the Emerson (model# LF501EM5F) that he's now using show the USB output power as 500 milliamps only, which isn't enough power to power his Roku Express device according to you all's support article on low power. I had this problem myself several months ago back when I first set up my Roku Express, which is why I'm posting here. My solution was to use a phone charger that outputs 5 volts and 1 amp. I had links to specs on both TV models that the poster listed in my prior posting on here, but you all flagged them as spam and deleted my prior posting without giving me the benefit of explaining why I posted the way that I did. Not a good way to start off a relationship with someone who is not only a new user here myself, but also someone who has over 30 plus years of experience as both a certified electronics technician and IT support technician. Your company needs people like me who's willing to volunteer their time help answer questions posted on these forums.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos