Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

When I click the power off button, the TV turns off but the Roku Ultra remains on and continues playing. As a workaround, I hit the home button and then the power button. Unfortunately, my mother forgets and the TV shows she watches continue to play. When she resumes the TV show, she is confused.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

it doesnt need fixing.

But youre doing the right thing press the Home button and leave it there when not using it.

And turn the TV off.

Roku's are Solid State and should be left on. It wont use bandwidth or much electricity.

It may be warm but thats fine.

I have two main computers I never turn off.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@boogernose wrote:

it doesnt need fixing.

I disagree.

The problem is that my mother frequently forgets. The TV shows continue to play, even though the TV turns off. Regardless of her forgetting, I think it's poor design. What she's doing is intuitive and is the same thing I did until I noticed that Roku was continuing to play. Expecting the power button to stop playback is logical. If it's better for the Roku to remain on, then the power button should at least stop playback.

Also, what does the power button do if the user doesn't opt in to having it turn off the TV? Did Roku design it just to turn off TVs and have no effect on Roku?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Go to Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver> make sure its on

After 4 hours of inactivity it will stop streaming if she hasn't left it at Home.

Even if it continues to stream it doesnt hurt anything unless she has a Data cap.

Its Ok.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hypothetically, if we asked every Roku user which of the following they expect to happen if they press the Power button:

1. The TV turns off and Playback Stops 
  2. The TV turns off and Playback Continues

Approximately what percentage of responses do you think would expect option #2? How many people would say "I want the TV show I'm watching to continue playing. I want future episodes to be marked as played while my TV is off"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Oh I see so when youre going to sleep the rest of the World should Stop

and wait til youre ready.

I told you if you go to Home and leave it there streaming stops.

Do you know what you want???

IT IS NOT COMPLICATED.

Maybe you should go to the fuse box and shut everything off when you go to sleep.

And have the gas shut off until the morning. And then there is the water......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

You're right. It doesn't need to be fixed. There isn't a problem. I'll let my mother know it's not complicated. Thank you for your help.