Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keithadams
Binge Watcher

Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

When I click the power off button, the TV turns off but the Roku Ultra remains on and continues playing. As a workaround, I hit the home button and then the power button. Unfortunately, my mother forgets and the TV shows she watches continue to play. When she resumes the TV show, she is confused.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks!
Labels (1)
40 REPLIES 40
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

it doesnt need fixing.

But youre doing the right thing press the Home button and leave it there when not using it.

And turn the TV off.

Roku's are Solid State and should be left on. It wont use bandwidth or much electricity.

It may be warm but thats fine.

I have two main computers I never turn off.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
keithadams
Binge Watcher

@boogernose wrote:

it doesnt need fixing.

I disagree.

The problem is that my mother frequently forgets. The TV shows continue to play, even though the TV turns off. Regardless of her forgetting, I think it's poor design. What she's doing is intuitive and is the same thing I did until I noticed that Roku was continuing to play. Expecting the power button to stop playback is logical. If it's better for the Roku to remain on, then the power button should at least stop playback.

Also, what does the power button do if the user doesn't opt in to having it turn off the TV? Did Roku design it just to turn off TVs and have no effect on Roku?

boogernose
Roku Guru

Go to Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver> make sure its on

After 4 hours of inactivity it will stop streaming if she hasn't left it at Home.

Even if it continues to stream it doesnt hurt anything unless she has a Data cap.

Its Ok.

0 Kudos
keithadams
Binge Watcher

Hypothetically, if we asked every Roku user which of the following they expect to happen if they press the Power button:

1. The TV turns off and Playback Stops 
  2. The TV turns off and Playback Continues

Approximately what percentage of responses do you think would expect option #2? How many people would say "I want the TV show I'm watching to continue playing. I want future episodes to be marked as played while my TV is off"?

boogernose
Roku Guru

Oh I see so when youre going to sleep the rest of the World should Stop

and wait til youre ready.

I told you if you go to Home and leave it there streaming stops.

Do you know what you want???

IT IS NOT COMPLICATED.

Maybe you should go to the fuse box and shut everything off when you go to sleep.

And have the gas shut off until the morning. And then there is the water......

0 Kudos
keithadams
Binge Watcher

You're right. It doesn't need to be fixed. There isn't a problem. I'll let my mother know it's not complicated. Thank you for your help.

Jaw
Channel Surfer

You're NOT wrong, he's definitely being difficult for no reason. He's clearly missing the point. The Power button means things turn off. They stop. There is NO other device that you hit the power button and things continue to keep running. The reason why it's not good for shows to continue to play because then it makes it harder to know where you were cause it will show several seasons of episodes viewed and played. Not sure why he needs to be nasty because he doesn't understand the concept of a power button on a remote. But there are always miserable people like this in the world, unfortunately. 

To Roku this is stupid and ridiculous. Why would the power button not turn off the power to the roku??? Makes NO sense. But at the very least Why would the power button not stop the show you're watching. The point has been made several times that this is NOT logical behavior. There shouldn't need to be an extra step to stop the shows I'm watching on Roku. I have the Roku+ that has the same issue. FireStick4K doesn't have this issue either. Get it together. 

boogernose
Roku Guru

Solid State electronics dont need to power off.

especially if they are computer related. It is simply unnecessary

as they use a remarkably minuscule amount of power when not being used.

If you power off then you'd need to reboot and go through that process every time you

use it. Years ago we had vacuum tubes and powering down was necessary.

That little LED light on the front of the Roku can stay lit for 347 years with a AA battery.

0 Kudos
Jaw
Channel Surfer

Thank you for being cordial. But you are still missing the point. So I don't need you to respond. You are not helping. You have made it clear that you don't want to understand what points we are trying to make. So you are not going to be able to help. Which is why my points are directed to Roku. Have a good day.