Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DNeal1
Channel Surfer

Roku phone app doesn't recognize my tv

It's been months since I bought my TCL 43S425 43in 4k ultra hd smart roku tv and I still can't get certain things to work. Airplay, and this gosh darn roku app remote. It doesn't recognize my tv as a roku device. I've tried inputting the IP address and it says there's no roku device at this address. Tried it on Android and IPhone. It still doesn't. Work. 

My friend wonders if it's the public wifi of my apartment building. I wonder if it's something more. I can't get it recognized no matter what I do. This tv has issues with outside devices linking to it. What's the deal?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku phone app doesn't recognize my tv

Make sure "Control by mobile apps" is enabled under Settings->System->Advanced system settings.  There's two settings that will enable it - Default or Permissive.  Try them both.  You'll also see "Device connect" there.  You'll probably want to make sure it's enabled.

I assume the phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi as the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DNeal1
Channel Surfer

Just tried permissive still doesn't work. The app thinks my IP address is one thing, but the IP address for the computer is a different number at the end, and it won't recognize it when I put it in.

renojim

I have a feeling there's something screwy with your Wi-Fi, but the IP address you want to put into the app is the one shown on your TV from Settings->About.  You should probably be happy that you can't connect because if everyone is sharing the same Wi-Fi then anyone would be able to control your TV using the app.

0 Kudos
ricklye

My app recognizes my Roku stick, but not my Roku TV. i've tried everything, very frustrating, and ridiculous 

0 Kudos
renojim

@ricklye, is your Roku TV connected via a wired connection?  If it's Wi-Fi, is it connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your stick and phone?

0 Kudos
Tony_from_Bmore
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku phone app doesn't recognize my tv, ***FIXED***

I have a Roku TCL model 32S335 (32").  After reading all of the troubleshooting tips on the entire WWW, I found a simple solution:

1.)  The ROKU mobile app will NOT find or pair to your TV if it is already turned on.

2.)  Do NOT try to use the "Connect Remote" settings in the TV.

3.)  Simply UNPLUG (not just turn off using the remote) but UNPLUG the TV.

4.)  Open the Roku App on your phone and then click the "Devices" icon in the lower right corner.

5.)  Immediately, plug the TV back in and power it on.

6.)  The app will now detect your TV and you're DONE!!!

Tony from Baltimore, Hope this helps.

0 Kudos