Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocky-racoon
Level 8

Roku not supporting TCL TV No internet due to latest 9.3 Roku firmware update - no way to go back!!!

Roku not supporting TCL TVs! Cannot connect to internet due to latest 9.3 Roku firmware update - no way to go back!!! Frustrated in NC....

15 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku not supporting TCL TV No internet due to latest 9.3 Roku firmware update - no way to go bac

No problem here with my TLC Roku tv, running 9.3 in SC.

Try this:

Restart your router, even if everything else in your house connects okay.

Restart your tv -- Settings > System > Power > System restart

Try to reconnect to your network -- Settings > Network > Set up connection

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Level 8

Re: Roku not supporting TCL TV No internet due to latest 9.3 Roku firmware update - no way to go bac

Glad you don't have a problem down there. It is here.

My TCL Roku system information Roku TV 8103X, TCL model 32S305, Software version 9.3.3 build 4194-48.

My home network is just fine. The problem is I cannot connet to the network via wi-fi. My wireless MAC address is all 0s! Without a HW address there is no way to connect to the internet. How and why the MAC is cleared is curious to me (this is a device HW ID and I thought was not supposed to be changeable!). However, when it used to work, the MAC was cleared and then by installing the latest (not this currentversion but a previous version --unkown to me) via a laptop download to a memory stick -- it worked. Then about a month ago it stopped and the laptop USB downlad and the version is 9.3 as noted above. I am pretty sure this SW is not compatable with board in my TCL TV. So I now just have a 'dumb' TV with a fancy "TCL Roku TV" home screen and port selection/controll. No streaming apps, roku, etc...

Thanks for the response...

0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Level 8

Edit to previos post: That shoud be software version "9.3.0" not "9.3.3"

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

AHA!  New information.  MAC address wiped out.  I've seen others with the same problem but have never seen a solution posted here.

Doing a little research this sounds like a hardware problem with the wifi board not communicating with the rest of the set.  You probably need to take this to TCL

If you're handy with electronics and a soldering iron you might be interested in this solution I just found on the web.  I don't know if this advice is any good so use at your own risk.   https://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-Bad-Mac-Address-on-ROKU-TV/

0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Level 8

I beleive it's probably a firmare/software problem and not a NIC. I used to get caught in the 'infamous' restarting/reloading update loop and got through that by doing a factory reset and then selelecting "commercial" use (versus home) when going thru the setup. (selecting commercial stops the update program from doing a remote 'latest version' check at the end of the setup routine. At this point if you chect the network status you should see that there is now a MAC address and you can go ahead and add all you streaming apps. Everything now works. However, the system will periodically shutdown and restart to do a check for updates from the site (Roku site I assume?) and as before the MAC address is cleared and forcing you to do anothe manual software update as before. This was the scenario that happened about 2 months ago, it was a pain but I could work around it. About a month or more ago I checked for the latest software from Roku and installed it on the memory stick (as I did before) and this is apparently when I ended up with version 9.3.0 and it does not work on my TCL 40" TV. It errors with a invalid update file message. And that is why Roku should put previos version on their site for download. New update version should be beta releases and marked as such.

Is there a Roku techie out there that can help. Still stuck with a "Dumb TV"...

I'

0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Level 8

I'm not not sold on the "grounding" issue. I wouldn't do it since my main board sees the card. The zeroing of the MAC and actually changing a MAC seems to be legal under FCC 802.3 guidlines. HW physical unmodifiable addressing nowadays seems impossible. That's just my gut feeling. Also, If I loose my streaming cababilty (Smartness) I don't want to risk breaking a perfectly good LCD TV with all the HDMI, audio, RGB and antenna inputs...

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@rocky-racoon wrote:

I'm not not sold on the "grounding" issue.

Not sure I am either.  Looks like he just attached his "grounding wire" to a plastic part.  How is that grounding anything?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

It's not obvious from his description, but that screw with the wire attached gets screwed into the metal chassis when he reattaches the back.  There's one picture showing the screw poking through the plastic and the hole in the chassis below it.

0 Kudos
rocky-racoon
Level 8

I don't beleive the part about a heavy gauge wire because I don't beleive that it would draw that much current to warrant that fixt here should be a ground  in the connector (a HW Roku tech should be able to answer this -- I don't want to knock anybody researching and testing problems. That's what techs do and they should get paid (by Roku) for something that proves to work. Also, As stated before, I have seen the MAC address go from zeroies to what appears to be a valid address. I can't be sure because I did not write it down and if I did have it or it was marked on the PCB (I haven't and will not tear into a working LCD TV for something that may or may not work) there is no means to edit it in. In addition I have mentioned befor that MAC address are changeable and that the respoability is up to the manufactuar to gaurd against a malicious change. This my understanding which makes sense to me and not being able to edit a MAC also makes sense. 

Thanks to all the bloggers for doing the work and research. I hope Roku takes these threads seriously...

0 Kudos