Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harryjm
Reel Rookie

Roku is overheating, but only on one TV

I have multiple Roku Express units in my house.  I have one Samsung TV that, no matter what Roku unit is attached to it, the Roku will overheat within 30 minutes.  I put the Roku on any of my other TVs and they run fine for hours.  I place the unit in front of the TV to avoid any heat from the TV.  The Roku is not placed in the sun and is not inside a cabinet, just sitting on a stand, so it's not getting any external heat.

Could my TV be the issue?  Does what HDMI port I attach it to matter?  The Roku cables stay with each unit, so it's not the same cable attached to the TV.

Thanks

Harry

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku is overheating, but only on one TV

@harryjm 

If each Roku device is overheating only with that particular TV, then issue likely with that TV.

The HDMI cable is to deliver video and audio.

The USB cable is for power.  If you have been plugging each of these devices into the TV's USB power port, try using the supplied power adapter and plug directly into wall outlet. (likely the TV USB power port is underpowered).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
harryjm
Reel Rookie

Yes, I have been using the provided power adapter and plugging into the wall.  So you think maybe it's my wall outlet?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@harryjm 

Could be, but unlikely.  Eliminate any power strips/surge protectors/extension cords if in use. (check for 120volt at wall outlet with voltmeter/ohmmeter).

Try using another power adapter and cable first.  (either from another Roku device or use a cell phone charging adapter 5v 1amp).

I guess you could try also using a different HDMI port on the TV also. There is a possibility that the HDMI may be processing video in a manner that is straining the attached Roku device leading to an overheating issue.  Final thing to do is to try lowering the resolution and manually setting the different resolutions from within the Roku device when connected to this TV to see if a particular video setting is triggering this behavior. (Settings/Display Type).

If you can rule out the power issue, and narrow down to the video processing issue, then there is some sort of compatibility issue between your Roku devices and this particular TV. 

0 Kudos
harryjm
Reel Rookie

Thanks for all the suggestions.

When I'd swap Roku's around I would also move their power adapter.

I've swapped the HMDI ports, and that didn't help.

I had a power strip, but have removed it, still overheating.

I'll dig out the old ohmmeter and test the voltage there, but that seems unlikely to me.

I'll also check the video settings on the Roku and the tv.  Pending that, maybe this TV is just destined to not have a Roku attached.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@harryjm 

Would appreciate an update if you get it figured out.  Good luck.

Feel free to post back if you have any questions.  Also include your TV model number and can see if there are additional reports.

0 Kudos
harryjm
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

I reduced the display from 4K 30ghz to 1080p and now it does not overheat, and the picture looks as good as it did before.  It feels warm to the touch, but not overly so.  Thank you for the assistance.

Since you asked for the model, it is a Samsung un55mu6290f.

I wonder if this solution can be applied to all the other people who I see are having an overheating problem.

Thanks again.

Harry