Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philr

Roku is listed as the user on my 2nd Roku device. Creating problems

Had trouble activating my Roku Premiere on my SECOND tv.  Roku support took over device and got it activated.  However, now when I have problems, my Roku shows Rokudevice180890@gmail.com as the email account and I can't get new streaming apps to link to both TVs as they have separate emails.  Help

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku is listed as the user on my 2nd Roku device. Creating problems

If, during activation, you go to a scam website, the website will tell you that activation failed (always) and that you should call a number (the scammer) to proceed.  At that point, the scammer ties to get money out of you, and it seems that they often activate the Roku on an account of their own creation since that gives them more opportunities to get money out of you.

Hopefully you can do a factory reset on your Roku and connect it to your own account.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Strega wrote:

If, during activation, you go to a scam website, the website will tell you that activation failed (always) and that you should call a number (the scammer) to proceed.  At that point, the scammer ties to get money out of you, and it seems that they often activate the Roku on an account of their own creation since that gives them more opportunities to get money out of you.

Hopefully you can do a factory reset on your Roku and connect it to your own account.

I agree 100%. 

Your two installations have two different emails shown because they are linked to two different accounts.  The channels are attached to the account, not the device, so all devices linked to the same account should get the same list of channels.

Just to be sure you understand, that second account came to be because that was not Roku support you were talking to, it was a scammer masquerading as Roku support.  When you went to link this new device, somehow you went to a scam site instead of the legitimate roku.com/link site.  When you first entered the code and it was rejected, that gave them what they needed to get it connected so you were none the wiser.  If they hit you with a registration fee, or any other charge just to register, those are scams.  They linked your second Roku to a Roku account of their making (hence the unfamiliar email address), and unless they gave you the password for that account, you can't even log into it. 

So do what @Strega said and do a factory reset to completely wipe the Roku's memory (via Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset) and set the unit up again from scratch.  This time link it to your existing Roku account, the one with your actual email address.  As this will be a new unit on this account, you'll have to log into any channels whose subscriptions require logins.

• IMPORTANT! When linking your device you may be directed to go to roku.com/link. Type this in very carefully and verify that you actually do go there. Otherwise you can end up back at a scammer's fake Roku site again. If you end up at ANY site your web browser's address field does not indicate is on roku.com (other than the https://my.roku.com/link that you'll get redirected to), back out and try again.

And in the meanwhile, in the process of setting up that second account, the scammer probably got your payment information and now can place all the bogus charges he wants.  Watch your incoming charges like hawk and immediately challenge any you don't recognize with the financial institution the charges come in through.  The scammer can label his charges as anything he wants -- if an undrecognized charge says it comes from Roku don't assume it really is.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@philr sorry, that wasn't Roku support you contacted. They were scammers, and I hope you didn't pay them anything. If you did, you should contest the charge on your credit card, and watch for fraudulent charges. 

As other here mentioned, the only way to get it connected to your true user account is to do a factory reset. Just make sure you go to the legitimate Roku site to link to your account: https://my.roku.com/link

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos