Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John21851
Reel Rookie

Roku hotspot

Any chance Roku will come with their own “Hotspot” device?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku hotspot

@John21851 wrote:

Any chance Roku will come with their own “Hotspot” device?

Considering all the (routine/frequent/regular) issues related to firmware (wireless driver) updates causing an inability to see wireless networks, and considering that Roku specializes in streaming device software/equipment and not networking access equipment, that would be a definitive no.

There are plenty of other companies that specialize in networking access devices (including phones/tablets and hotspot routers etc) that offer that functionality, and that's entirely outside Roku's "wheelhouse".

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku hotspot

I can't see that happening. They'd have to use some brand of existing cellular carrier, and it would be difficult to offer a better price than already available. And they'd be locked into a single carrier, and not all homes have a good cellular signal for all carriers. My daughter and son-in-law live just up the street from us. It's a very large development, and AT&T has a huge coverage hole in the center of it. He has to have a micro-cell in his home for the cell phones to work, and those are going away since they are turning off 3G cell service in the near future, with no plans for a 4G or 5G micro-cell. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos