Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku express stuck on logo

Bought a new roku express but during set up it just got stuck on bouncing logo. I've done everything - hard reset, switched cables, internet reset, etc. but my roku express is basically useless. Please don't give me the same instructions on how to reset it. Just help me resolve this issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku express stuck on logo

You didn't mention how you're powering it.  If you're plugging it into the USB port on your TV, try the supplied power adapter.  If you're already doing that, heck, try the USB port on your TV.  If you have another USB power adapter for a phone or tablet, give that a shot.  If you have another TV you can try it on, do that.  Once you've exhausted all these things, if it still doesn't work I'd say it's just plain bad.  And just to be sure, if you've tried to perform a factory reset, make sure you're holding in the reset button continuously for at least 30 seconds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

For some unknown reason, users that have had this problem before have been successful by doing a factory reset, start the setup from the beginning, and using a phone hotspot as the Internet source. Can't explain it, but it has worked for many users. Once the setup is complete, you can connect it back to your home network and everything works fine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

This situation is happening on my Roku 3, starting yesterday. I too have tried all of the remedies recommended on these forums, (hard reset, removing SD card (although in my case I never had one), restarting modem, soft reset, etc.) except for using one’s phone as a personal internet source. How can one do that if one cannot get into the Roku settings to change the internet source? Any help is appreciated.

It seems like this is a real problem with Roku devices (old like mine and new ones too) for several months now. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Cate29 wrote:

This situation is happening on my Roku 3, starting yesterday. I too have tried all of the remedies recommended on these forums, (hard reset, removing SD card (although in my case I never had one), restarting modem, soft reset, etc.) except for using one’s phone as a personal internet source. How can one do that if one cannot get into the Roku settings to change the internet source? Any help is appreciated.

It seems like this is a real problem with Roku devices (old like mine and new ones too) for several months now. 

There are two different models labeled Roku 3, the 4200 (released March 2013) and 4230 (April 2015). Even the newest one is over 5 years old.  While they are both still supported by Roku, it's certainly possible that something has failed in it. If yours isn't even booting at all, and since you've already tried every other option, about all you can do now is to do a factory reset and see it it will boot to the new setup. If that works, you can complete the setup and re-link it to your Roku account. All your current channels will re-install, but you'll need to enter user credentials for each channel that uses them.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks Dan, I do have the 4320 that I bought in 2016. Maybe you are right, it will not factory reset, even pressing the pinhole slot for more than 30 secs. (The light blinks and it restarts, but the Roku will not progress past that logo). However, I do find it odd that many brand new players from Roku are having  this issue, of the Roku not progressing past the “bouncing logo,”, that is, they do not load the program. I wonder if it is a software update issue. I am thinking about buying a new Roku player, but am concerned I will have the problems so many have written about on this forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Cate29 wrote:

Thanks Dan, I do have the 4320 that I bought in 2016. Maybe you are right, it will not factory reset, even pressing the pinhole slot for more than 30 secs. (The light blinks and it restarts, but the Roku will not progress past that logo). However, I do find it odd that many brand new players from Roku are having  this issue, of the Roku not progressing past the “bouncing logo,”, that is, they do not load the program. I wonder if it is a software update issue. I am thinking about buying a new Roku player, but am concerned I will have the problems so many have written about on this forum.

I really can't say. I have two Roku TVs and three Roku players. My grandson is using my older Stick, and my 2 XS is buried in a drawer and hasn't been powered in over a year. Roku doesn't support that one any longer anyway. But the five I still use have never experienced any problems with firmware updates. I just now (15 minutes ago) updated my Ultra 4670 to 9.3.0 without an issue. I wouldn't have any qualms about  getting another myself, but I have no current or near term need for a new device. I use the Nvidia Shield for my two 4K sets that are connected to an AVR, that's so I can have lossless audio from my Blu Ray and UHD BD rips. If I didn't have that need for lossless audio, I would likely still just be using Roku players. The smart functions of my Samsung TVs are terrible for streaming local media, so I don't even bother with them. They are just a display for me. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, I've tried all the above. Just need to return and get a refund, I guess.

0 Kudos