Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfeaster

Roku device overheating

I recently set up a roku stick (SN 2130DF216702 MODEL 3810X ) and needed a HDMI to RCA converter for my old samsung tv since it does not have a HDMI port. I am using Youtube tv. I get a warning message after watching for about hour that my device is overheating. It continues to flash the message and I am forced to turn it off usually right in the middle of a movie.  I spoke with an online ROKU agent and was advised to buy another tv since ROKU is designed to plug directly into an HDMI port. When I kept getting the overheating message, I did some research and it said I needed a HDMI extension cord.  According to the agent, that will not resolve my problem because one end of HDMI extension cord has to be connected on TV's HDMI port. Is there any solution for me short of buying a new tv. I don't want to lose my house due to fire with this overheating problem. Thank you. 
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku device overheating

The converter is, of course, a non-standard hookup. Having said that, I don't know of any reason it would cause the Roku Streaming Stick+ (that's what your device is) to work extra hard.

An alternate option would be to get a Roku Express to use with the adapter and that TV. You should be able to download the YouTube TV app despite the contract dispute. It may take some work, but I'd suggest that route if you don't want to replace your TV.

Of course, if you want a better Roku, get an Ultra. It costs more. The Express is a lesser device, but should work for what you're after. It's ⅓ the price of an Ultra and ½ the price of a Stick+.

A new TV is still a better idea, but I am offering those other options if you want to consider them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku device overheating

Dear All:

My Roku box measures 3 1/4 x 1 1/2 and sits flat on wood,

which warms up and sometimes the overheating message

pops up for a few seconds.

There is no heat source around and the ambient temperature

is normal (family room).

I placed a very flat piece of metal, a little larger than the box,

under the box. Since then the heat transfer into the metal and