Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robofriar
Level 7

Roku can no long display on my TV after update

After updating to 9.4 on a Roku Premiere using a Sharp HDTV (1080p) the HDMI connection no longer works. A message is displayed on the tv that the Roku is an incompatible signal and I cannot do anything. Should I not have updated because of the TV's age? Please help. Just got this Roku this month and need to know if i should return it and downgrade or get chromecast until i get a better tv.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku can no long display on my TV after update

Try powering off both the TV and the Roku, then removing the Roku from the TV. Now turn the TV back on and verify everything is OK. Now, turn it back off, reconnect the Roku, and turn the TV back on. Don't power up the Roku yet. Again verify everything is working, then change the TV input to the one the Roku is using and power up the Roku. First you want to ensure it's booting, so you want to see the dancing Roku logo. Once it's finished booting, hopefully the TV and Roku will complete the HDMI handshake and everything works again. 

If the Sharp is 1080p, there should be no issue with the Roku Premiere correctly connecting to the TV and displaying properly. It's possible the Premiere got stuck in 4K mode after the update, so a complete power cycle of everything might clear it up.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Robofriar
Level 7

Hmm. It powers up and does the Roku dance, but then flickers and then displays the tv's incompatible video message.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Robofriar wrote:

Hmm. It powers up and does the Roku dance, but then flickers and then displays the tv's incompatible video message.

OK, I can only offer one other suggestion before performing a full factory reset. That would be to try it on a different TV, preferably with a different HDMI cables. Cables can fail, although it's unlikely to show itself just when there was a software update. 

If it doesn't work on a different set, and/or with a different cable, then a factory reset would be the only remaining option. Hopefully it won't come to that. Of course, if something truly failed with the Roku (always a possibility with electronic devices), even a factory reset won't fix it. If it's less than a year old, it should still be under warranty, and @RokuDanny-R should be able to assist you.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Does the tv have another HDMI port you can try?  Or another television?

I'm thinking if you can get it working you could set the Roku to 1080p resolution instead of its default "auto" setting to see if that gets it working in the original port.  Settings > Display type.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Robofriar 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Robofriar
Level 7

Thanks it was a problem with the TV. Will it update to 9.4 if I get this TCL 4K 4 series TV for $220.

0 Kudos
Gambit420dude69
Level 7

The problem is from the latest update with software version 9.4.0 build 4187-39. I have a Hinsense 4K TV(55R6+) that has Roku TV (7215X). My new Chromecast with Google TV was working fine. I had read about the new update for Roku that has a new feature which allows some models to be able to use their Apple iPads/iPhones to to work on Roku TV via Air Play and Homekit. I did the new update for Roku and it worked, I was able to have more control and options for my TV from my iPhone, like casting HBO Max. Once I was done with that I went back to the input my Google TV was on and I immediately noticed problems. The picture was flickering in and out but not evenly, it was mostly solid black screen with the picture appearing very rapidly then quickly going back to black. I tried all the tricks to remedy this problem, (I actually am an AV Technician). I had a similar problem with the TiVo 4K Stream dongle a few months prior, and when plugged in it was flickering because the TV was a smaller TV that has HD but not 4K capabilities. I lowered the resolution and it worked, except that case is different than this new case with the current issue. This is because the TV with TiVo was flickering consistently, so i was able to still navigate through the menu and select the right settings to make adjustments. However, like I mentioned earlier the flicker on the Hisense 4K Roku TV, in the input with the Google TV was different because there was rarely a moment where you could actually see where to navigate and what to select. First I tried a simple hard reboot, unplugged my TV and the device for 10 seconds. I plugged the TV back in and turned it on and let it start up. Then I plugged in the Chromecast device and let that turn on and start up. Still the same problem, the flicker starts even when its loading up with the logo in front. I tried factory reset, that did not work either. Finally, I had to record the TV with my phone and pause the video to be able to see a still shot and navigate to the resolution page. Once I was able to pick a lower resolution (remember this is a 4K TV) it would work, but not really. I would have to select a few times before it would kick in and work and even after that it is not stable. Once you do get a stable image it will be fine, until the device goes off or is turned off and comes back on. The problem comes back and it becomes a cycle that is very frustrating. After about the 4th time I plugged the dongle in a different TV that is HD not 4K and the resolution along with everything else worked, no problem. This means the problem is the Hisense 4K Roku TV. The update that I did to help work with my Apple devices might have also caused some disruption of the handshake between the Hisense 4K Roku TV and the Chromecast with Google TV. I don’t think it is a settings issue, but a systems issue. Perhaps there needs to be another update to correct this problem? Please advise.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos