Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fudgenut
Reel Rookie

Roku box used to have option to power off

My roku box used to have the option under Settings-System 

To power off , now after unknown update, it's gone.   WHY?????  Now I have to unplug it to power it off??? What a STUPUD "update".   I don't give a %$&p if it's so it auto downloads updates while I'm not using it.  Seriously?  How long does a 20mb download take anyway?

Put the option to power off through the menu!!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku box used to have option to power off

You didnt mention your Roku model # or firmware version, but I'm going to guess its a Roku 4, and it recently updated to 10.0.0-4209.

You can see when the firmware last updated:  Settings/System/System update/Last updated =

You can always complain to Roku directly about the functionality loss:

chat/email   https://support.roku.com/contactus     (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

Fudgenut
Reel Rookie

Hi, I was too lazy to look at my Roku box model (I say that because it's not a USB plug in model) or its firmware version.

I thought I was pretty much posting directly to Roku,  as I was on their website.

I'll check the model and firmware version... 

Whomever was in charge of the decision to REMOVE a useful feature like turning off the power to the unit should be fired.  Like, "hey, here's a tv and remote.  But the remote can't in any way turn off power to the TV.  You have to unplug the TV.".  Why in God's name would that be a smart decision?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

This is their user-to-user "community" forum, with a few Roku employees that post/assist as much as they can.   You'll want to use the link I provided to directly communicate issues to Roku.

Lets just say that Roku's firmware engineers are "less than stellar", and the last 3 major OS version updates have been particularly bad.   Speaking of firmware engineering job loss at Roku:

https://www.roku.com/jobs/listing?dept=Software%20Engineering

Roku's CEO used to boast about how much he was able to do with so few employees, but thats changed in the last several years - they went from 700 employees in 2017 to 2000 (and growing) in 2021. 

Yet the firmware release quality hasnt improved at all (arguably otherwise), as the UX/UI has clearly become more inconsistent (or just broken, or frequently re-broken).

Roku needs to do some serious refocusing on firmware engineering/quality and web process engineering/quality (activation/account management), especially at its relates to the UI/UX.

Fudgenut
Reel Rookie

Hey there,

I did use the link you provided to communicate with them.

I totally appreciate your replies.  Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

You are aware that no electronics these days is ever really off. Even the Roku 4 just goes into a deep sleep when 'off' and takes a few seconds to wake up. It's the only model that did that because the chipset was power-hungry.

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Fudgenut wrote:

Whomever was in charge of the decision to REMOVE a useful feature like turning off the power to the unit should be fired.  Like, "hey, here's a tv and remote.  But the remote can't in any way turn off power to the TV.  You have to unplug the TV.".  Why in God's name would that be a smart decision?

The only Roku devices that ever had a power off feature were the Roku 4, model 4400, and the Roku TV models. Roku doesn't make Roku TVs. So, the Roku 4, model 4400, is the only Roku-built device that ever powered off. The device was in production from October 2015 - October 2016 and has been discontinued since that time.

It's still an officially supported device, and all such functionality should remain.

Have you enabled a developer mode or change your setup to use a beta server? That should be ruled out before Roku digs into code about an issue that's not been previously reported.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Fudgenut
Reel Rookie

I am aware.  Otherwise remote controls wouldn't work to turn the unit on (or wake it up, etc...).

It's easier to say turn off (or on)than find some suitable wording to fit everyone's acceptable description of what is happening.  Power down, put in sleep mode, etc.

0 Kudos