Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

When are Roku and HBO going to settle their dispute so that we can get HBOMax on Roku, where we get--and pay for-- HBO Now? This stand-off is going to hurt Roku's user base, not HBO's. There are too many alternatives to Roku, but not for HBO.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Have an old computer or laptop or chromebook with an HDMI output?  Plug it into your tv, stick a wireless mouse on it and you're watching HBO Max on your tv.  While you're at it, providing you're using a windows/linux OS is to install something like Bluestacks android emulator.  Once you do that, you can run android apps to your tv, like Quibi (if you care) and a surprising number of "phone only" apps will run displaying to your tv.  I have a permanently set up "home theater PC" that's powerful but power friendly.  Plex server, anything that only runs on a browser or an android phone can use the tv.  You can even buy a cheap "media center remote" that comes with an RF or IR receiver for the computer, or get one of those nice little wireless logitech keyboard/trackpads.  Some chromebooks can also run android apps from the play store.

Over the years, I've always stumbled over things that work well in a browser but don't want to play with a roku or android tv.  An HTPC solves all of those issues.

Highlighted
Level 11

Just what we needed. Another thread on the SOS with nothing new to say.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So Roku is not going to answer the question? I was going to replace my broken tv now I may have to get a samsung

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I'm not sure its Roku's issue.  The only streaming tv device that HBO Max works on is android tv.  Not Roku or Fire TV.  HBO would have to create the app, the hitch seems to be that HBO wants more money from Roku than Roku pays for other streaming services.  Its not enough that Time Warner/HBO is bypassing the middlemen and charging too much for what you get, they also want a revenue stream.  Dumb on HBO's behalf.

Highlighted

It's really a shame that ROKU is not allowing HBO MAX on their platform. ROKU also will probably not allow PEACOCK in July. What person with ROKU would ever recommend ROKU to friends without HBO MAX and PEACOCK. Persons like me who have invested a lot of money in a ROKU TV are stuck because most of us can't afford to change services. 

I have to remind ROKU how fast Time Warner Cable died a few years back when they made the big mistake of dropping CBS TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes. You can also hook up your computer to your router with an ethernet connection (faster & uses a bit less data), then hook it up with a HDMI cable to your Roku player or Roku TV. Ta-da! now you have a channel on which you can watch anything that's online. My Roku controller also works on YouTube this way.

The only problems I've encountered are that sound quality is better straight through my Roku TV and it's easier to change channels through Roku than changing pages with my laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry, but I disagree that HBO Max not coming will be more painful for Roku than HBO. For me, I was already planning to ditch HBO: after Game of Thrones ended, I was thinking about leaving, but kept my HBO Now subscription partly out of laziness and partly due to some of the shows. Their catalog of movies and shows has not been great lately and I thought maybe the HBO Max additions might make it worthwhile. After finding they don't support Roku, I'm done. I just canceled my HBO Now subscription and can use the saved money somewhere else.

0 Kudos