Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Roku Update messed up time sync settings

At some point in the last week my roku's all had an issue validating time.   Now the clock on all of my roku devices is just random times, and many of them now will not work.  They will "connect" to the internet, but then when I try to use any device it says "no download speed", even tho my internet is fine.  It's all due to the time sync issue.

I can not roll back to a past update.  At this point, your recent update has bricked my Roku TV.  Somehow one of my Hisense has not suffered this issue, but I have 3 other roku TV's (TCL, another Hisense, and a Sharp) and 2 Roku boxes (Premier and Premier+) and none of them will let me stream anything.  

Reading around this is not an isolated problem.  Get this fixed Roku.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Update messed up time sync settings

Make sure you restart (Settings/System/System restart) all your Roku devices, as well as all the devices in the LAN/WAN chain (any switches/hubs, as well as your modem/router/gateway)

Also make sure that any firewall you have may installed didnt change any of its settings (or otherwise update its software/rules).

Finally, verify your modem/router/gateway's WAN IP address hasnt recently changed and/or the reverse DNS isnt outside the US (presuming you are in the US).

(FYI, the Premiere and Premiere+ havent had a firmware update since December...though its possible yours were really late updating.)

And if you need/want to contact Roku, you should do so directly:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/roku tv/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

So I've done the suggestions above, as well as a lot of others.  Still no go.

All my other non roku devices?  Still working just fine.

I did a factory reset on my Sharp TV, and one of the Hisense.  The Sharp TV works now.  The Hisense still does not. 

And before someone says it...I'm not a roku hater.  I love their stuff, obviously I wouldn't own as much as I do.  But this is frustrating the heck out of me.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The fact is their firmware updates do have a lot of problems, especially as of late with 9.3.x and 9.4.x, especially with Roku TVs, and with Express/Premiere models.

I would definitely report this to Roku via the options I provided.

Are your premiere/premiere+ showing the correct time and/or able to stream?

Is your firewall/gateway/router (or ISP?) blocking or filtering NTP in some way?  Does your modem/router/gateway have the correct time internally?

0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

That's the problem, my roku's aren't showing a time (except for the one I factory reset and was able to get working)...and when I go in to the time settings and try to do it automatically it won't update, because it can't connect to the network.

I can manually do whatever I want with the timezone, but I can't actually set the time itself.  

My router shows the correct time.  I will verify with my WISP that my geo location and everything is correct, but he said it as on Friday.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

If you're not connecting to the net - is that to the internet, or to your local net?

I'm wondering if that isn't the real problem such that it cannot get the time from the net.

This has always worked for me with net connection problems:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Thanks.  I find instructions (like those) several days back and did that first.  I even reset my router to factory defaults.  I've gone through all of those steps. 

We'll see what Roku says.   I can't actually get them on phone support.  I talked to a TCL person, but they told me I had to call Roku, and the # they gave me says "We aren't talking calls at this time"

Again, the weird thing is...when I go to "set up a connection" it will connect to my wireless network and the internet.  But then when I try to do anything it tells me "no connection", and when I run a connection check it shows not connected.  So it'll tell me initially "connected to the internet" and then it doens't.

Appreciate all the suggestions/advice.  

0 Kudos
thatguybunger
Streaming Star

Whatever the issue ends up being, it ultimately has to come from Roku's end.  There's no reason my Xbox, Shield TV, Fire TV and Fire Sticks, and other non Roku Smart TV's can connect.  Every device I have that connects to internet works that I have tried, except my Roku's, and I firmly believe it has to do with the time piece, which I can't manually set, and can't automatically get because they won't connect to the internet.  It's like a horrible cycle.  

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@thatguybunger wrote:

Thanks.  I find instructions (like those) several days back and did that first.  I even reset my router to factory defaults.  I've gone through all of those steps. 

We'll see what Roku says.   I can't actually get them on phone support.  I talked to a TCL person, but they told me I had to call Roku, and the # they gave me says "We aren't talking calls at this time"

Again, the weird thing is...when I go to "set up a connection" it will connect to my wireless network and the internet.  But then when I try to do anything it tells me "no connection", and when I run a connection check it shows not connected.  So it'll tell me initially "connected to the internet" and then it doens't.

Appreciate all the suggestions/advice.  

If you look at my first response to you, I provided means to contact Roku support directly.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

You might try connecting them to a phone hotspot and see if they grab the correct time. Sometimes an alternate connection cures all sorts of Roku issues. Doesn't make any sense, but it's worked for several issues for some users. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos