Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quevellan
Channel Surfer

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

Ok, it seems in order to get the Rollback Update, one needs to login to Community.Roku.com Forum,look for and click the Upper Right Envelope Icon, then click New Message to Send a Private Message to a Roku Tech like RokuDanny-R, provide your devices model Specs and wait a few hours for a reply informing you to recheck your Roku's System Update for the Pushed update file.  Install, Reboot, and then reply to their msg noting Success if so, as it has been working for those who have got itnso far it seems. Good Luck

0 Kudos
sherryw625
Reel Rookie

Re: Time to warn others about problems with Roku Update & how it bricks TVs and streaming boxes

Jump to solution

I have cancelled everything with Roku...thankful my TV is not Roku supported...I have done everything to fix this...even when to factory reset and done that...but NO...So I guess I will be purchasing a new streaming service..I have had Roku since they hit the market...my ultra LT is not even a year old...so anybody got any ideal of a GOOD WORKING streaming service?

OldClone85
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't belive RokuDanny has the ability you help others "roll back" their software to 10.0 from 10.5. I had spoken at length last night to a Roku customer service agent and she assured me the "rolling back" phenomena was phony. She claims Roku has never "rolled back" any software they have produced over the years. I'm awaiting an email technical services

0 Kudos
JTvair
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree.  It seems from Google that update v10.5 has been causing problems since 9/21.  My Roku Ultra 4660X updated to v10.5.0 build 4201-46 on 11/18/2021 and has been broken since.  My Spectrum TV App and even Roku App do not work now and App menus load slow.  Spectrum techs cannot fix it.  I do not know how to contact Roku support.  I also would like instructions on how to go back to the previous software version which worked great.  Meanwhile my Roku is useless....

0 Kudos
Quevellan
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@OldClone85 wrote:

I don't believe Danny claims to be a Roku tech. He says he's not an employee at Roku. He says he is a federal employee. Tell me how he is able to get a rollback piece of software since Roku claims it's impossible to do?

There's more than one "Danny" here. Me, I'm not a Roku employee, and have never claimed to be. I also don't go by Danny. @RokuDanny-R is the Roku employee that can assist you. He's the one you need to send a PM to.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Quevellan
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ah! OK @OldClone85  see @aatc98092comment just above about multuple Dannie's...  

Then be sure to DM the one I, he, and others have successfully communicated with. 😉 

0 Kudos
Toothsleuth
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info. It was easier to call the cable company and trash all the rokus. As for the televisions with roku operating systems, they will make lovely game monitors. I’m almost sure a class action will result from the lack of communication from Roku and for all the posters who gave all the in depth tech instructions, good that you are so skilled. Forensic dentistry is easier than the nonsense we have been through the last 4 days because of a software rollout that was unchecked prior to release. 

0 Kudos
thebtwl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have two TV's, one a TCL ROKU tv and the other a Samsung smart TV which has a Roku usb stick plugged in. Both upgraded automatically to the 10.5.0. The Samsung, which is probably a decade old, doesn't seem to have a problem with the new update, but the TCL is struggling mightily and takes a minute or so to load a channel and then another minute to load a video from the channel. TCL, having the ROKU built in, there is no way around the issue and I guess I just have to wait for the next update to fix the 10.5.0 update. I appreciate ROKU has to design software to work for many different brands of TV, but as TCL is the biggest maker of TV's in the world (as far as I know), you'd think there would be some good communication between the two companies, such that a flawed update such as 10.5.0 could not be released at all on their sets.

If I buy another TV in the future, it won't be one with ROKU built in after this 10.5.0 fiasco. This is as much a TCL negligence issue as ROKU. They need to test these updates on all their legacy machines before allowing an update to go out. My TCL is only 4 years old, hardly antique and should not have to suffer such software update issues.

0 Kudos
saduser0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@OldClone85as others have pointed out, there's a Dan and a RokuDanny

v10.5.0 -> v10.0.0 roll-back:

Roll-back of software is done at Roku's end on a manual, individual case-by-case basis: thus you need to pm the Roku employee your device identifying information so it can added to the database of devices opting out of updates.

Staying at v10.0.0:

I sent the IDs of my 3 TCL Roku TVs in at the same time.  1 TV updated/roll-back to v10.0.0 the next morning on its own, while the rest took an extra day to roll-back on its own.  Once you opted for the roll-back, you are stuck with the v10.0.0.  So far, the rolled-back Roku TV can't do a "Check for Software Update" and get v10.5.0 back.

As I mentioned in my previous message, I managed to get all 3 of my devices working after the v10.5.0 (at least for the stuff that I got around to testing and cared about) with just the switch to use wifi with re-typed in password.  So I wasn't anxious about the delays to getting the roll-back.  But like every one else, the automatic update and the issues (even though temporary) really made me want to dump Roku at one point!  I am definitely happy with v10.0.0 roll-back... and possibly skipping out on future updates.

Good luck everyone!

0 Kudos