Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sgooter
Level 7

Roku Update 8.0.1 - Problem

My two Roku Ultras updated yesterday to 8.0.1 / Build 4090. This update is now causing a problem each time I attempt to use a PAGE UP function on my Harmony remote. Before this update, a PAGE UP command would function properly. However, after this update a PAGE UP command only activates a query/option window asking if I want to EXIT (or Cancel) the Roku channel/program I am watching at that time.  The best example is with PlayStation Vue's TV Guide: Before the update I could fully PAGE UP or DOWN to navigate through the many PS Vue channels shown in the Guide. After this update, the PAGE DOWN command still works correctly. However, the PAGE UP command now causes the EXIT PlayStation Vue? query box to open, and this error is also present other ROKU channels, such as You Tube, Watch ESPN, etc. 
Please fix or roll back this faulty Roku update 8.0.1 / Build 4090.
Life is good in a 4-dot world.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku Update 8.0.1 - Problem

Maybe I'm naive, but how could a Page Up/Page Down function even exist, if no original Roku remotes have such a function? I'm confused as to how a page up/down worked at all in the first place.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Sgooter
Level 7

I don't think you're naive, and it's a good question. There are some Roku users, like me, who use an all-in-one programmable type of Logitech Harmony remote (versus a Roku remote) to control numerous integrated activities and functions in our home theater set ups, such as using an HTPC, Blu-Ray player, AVR, TV, Roku, etc. There is a designated set of Roku commands that exist in the Logitech Hamony database, and can be programmed into the Harmony remote. During that programming of my Harmony remote, I assigned PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN commands to the appropriate up and down buttons on the Harmony remote. I use PlayStation Vue for TV streaming, and my package includes 60+ TV channels arrayed in PSVue's TV Guide. I use the page up/down commands to navigate in the Guide, and I suspect the same feature exists in other Roku multi-channel TV streaming offerings, such as Sling TV.  I did not create these PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN commands; they exist in Logitech's database for the Roku devices, and it is my understanding that these remote commands/functions were provided by and certified by Roku to Logitech for use in their Harmony database.  As I see it, since these commands came from Roku, then they should be attentive when they issue a system update that causes adverse side effects, and they should also endeavor to fix the problem.
Until yesterday's 8.0.1 udpate, my Harmony remotes always perfectly controlled my Rokus. So, I would like to at least have the option of rolling back this 8.0.1 update to the previous version.
Life is good in a 4-dot world.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

You have to remember that anything that isn't considered a documented feature can be changed or removed at any time. This isn't the first time I've heard of them removing an undocumented feature. It's possible they changed the code that performed that function, or perhaps decided to use that code for something different that works with a supported feature. It's annoying, but not much you can do beyond expressing your displeasure, which you've done here. 
Roku rarely allows firmware rollback, in their attempt to ensure everyone is running the latest code to ensure the best compatibility with supported functions and channels. Unless it causes a widespread problem, it's unlikely you'll be able to rollback your firmware.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mikenz
Level 7

with your logitech remote they typically give you a toll free number that goes overseas for support. i had this logitech number on hand from last year for real people in the U.S. i haven't used it since last summer but if it helps, (646)454-3200 press 1, press 3, press 2...hours used to be 8a-5p PST. Good luck!
0 Kudos
astangelo
Level 7

@Sgooter: Where you able to resolve your issue.  I too have PS Vue, and while I like the Roku remote's simplicity for my kids' sake, I would like a remote that has standard Cable Box/DVR features like Page-Up, Page-Down, Last-Channel, or even Channel-Up/Channel-Down.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"jeffrok" wrote:
Maybe I'm naive, but how could a Page Up/Page Down function even exist, if no original Roku remotes have such a function? I'm confused as to how a page up/down worked at all in the first place.

I think the channel developer re-purposes certain remote keys as "Page Down" and "Page Up" like the Netflix channel which will do "Page Left" and "Page Right" through the Rewind and Fast Forward keys in the category grid.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Sgooter" wrote:
However, after this update a PAGE UP command only activates a query/option window asking if I want to EXIT (or Cancel) the Roku channel/program I am watching at that time.

Sounds like they used the Back button of the Roku remote for their "Page Up" function and the update may prohibit channel developer overwriting the channel's Exit dialog from the Back button. Vue would need to adjust their channel for this behaviour.
0 Kudos