Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Ultras no longer functional after network outage

I have two Roku Ultra devices, which are no longer functional after a regional network outage.

I've rebooted both devices, rebooted my router, etc.

One Ultra can connect to YouTube via the app, but none of the other channel apps are functional.  Even basic Roku services like the channel store are non-functional.

Both devices pass the network connectivity tests, and my computers can connect to any Internet resource.

I tried systematically the following:

- reset one Roku Ultra to its factory defaults

- repeating the configuration / set-up process

- this device hangs, unable to obtain an activation code

In this case, I unlinked the Roku Ultra from my account settings, which made no difference.

I'm in a campus network environment, and have contacted network support, awaiting a response.

It seems the Roku devices are unable to contact whatever server they are looking for, although there is no direct means to determine what is actually failing.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultras no longer functional after network outage

My experience with College networks and servers are that they are very

heavy handed and are not keen on allowing very much data through. Do your

computers stream normally try,

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/?utm_source=organic_social&utm_medium=rokublog&utm_campaign=trcweb&u...

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

All of my computers stream normally - the problem is limited to just the two Roku Ultra devices.

As an example, when trying to load Vudu on one of the Ultras, I get a delay, followed by a 'Failed to connect to the network' error, along with the requisite device hardware ID, Device ID, and Software version info.

The sole exceptions are YouTube (which has a delay), and Hulu, which also eventually loads, after a very long delay.

Over the weekend, we had a 20-hour regional outage, on the AT&T AES, which had to be manually re-routed onto temporary paths - I suspect it is something related to this disaster.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Sounds like the type of problems one might expect of a slow network.

Maybe it will iron itself out in time.

Are you using a wireless Router?

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I've hardwired (direct Ethernet connection) both Ultras to the router, to rule out WiFi related problems - same outcome.

There doesn't seem to be any 'ping' or 'trace route' equivalent functionality in the Ultras (I've looked at all the "secret menus"), so it is difficult to say why they behave differently from a computer (I've got good results on both Mac OS X and Windows 10 devices wrt. streaming).

The asymmetry in this is strange - YouTube, Hulu, and the local station app work, after a start-up delay, but the most alarming thing is that none of the base Roku channels, like the channel store, etc. work.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

I was going to suggest Ethernet but  Oh well.

Your problems are the kind of screwy things Ive seen on College networks.

They route too much data around.

You also have the option of making a Hotspot out of your phone.

Also if youre using a MicroSD yank those suckers out when you reset.

Do Channels like Pluto and Tubi work?

Not all servers enable ping.

You could traceroute with a laptop connected.

You could also namebench your DNS servers.

But I expect these arent the issues. Have you tried lowering your resolution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@coyneg 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It seems that your devices are no longer connected to your network. College networks are typically public networks, did you set up your devices on this network previously? 

If you are using the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on your Roku devices, the devices need to be activated before connecting to a public network, such as your college network.

As @boogernose mentioned, we would recommend factory resetting your device and trying to set up the device using an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot. Once your device is has been activated and setup, try streaming to see if the device is functioning as normal. If everything works fine, you can then try reconnecting to your college network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

The network environment here is unusual - I am a research engineer and associate scientist, residing at McDonald Observatory.  Part of the facility is a small, on-site residential community.  Most of us stream for residential media/entertainment services.

When AT&T's 'last mile' ASE services failed, we were down for 22-hours, before there was a physical path restoration event.  As it turns out, numerous routes, certain VLANS, etc. did not get migrated in the restoration.  That affected about a half-dozen Roku users here, along with other network services related to science operations.

The services were fully restored yesterday late, and all the Roku users are back in service - so not a problem with the devices.  The limited troubleshooting interfaces make it difficult to pin down this sort of issue.

Highlighted
Level 16

So it ironed itself out.

Hope it stays that way...................

0 Kudos