Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lagavulin62
Level 7

Roku Ultra web browser

Sort of a newbie question but I know Roku does not have a web browser. I understand I can download one from the google play app or are there other possible options?

What are the most reliable 3rd party browsers from google play store? I know the apple app store has firefox and a few other popular ones. What I want to do is live stream horse racing. Not to bet, just to watch live. I downloaded NYRA Now for the NY tracks, and it works well. I just want access to all the tracks from my TwinSpires account.

I have used the apple av adaptor and bypassed the boxes. But for live sports its too slow. I have fast internet and NHL on Roku works very smooth. I just want to have non app access to live video.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra web browser

You can possibly Miracast from a Windows 10 PC or phone, that's about it. Roku itself cannot install Android apps at all. There's nothing you can do to use Roku like a Kodi box or any other box that streams from unauthorized sources.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Lagavulin62
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
You can possibly Miracast from a Windows 10 PC or phone, that's about it. Roku itself cannot install Android apps at all. There's nothing you can do to use Roku like a Kodi box or any other box that streams from unauthorized sources.

Trek,

Thanks for the info.

So next question. What box would I need to buy to get a reliable browser? Chromecast? Amazon?
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Lagavulin62" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:

Trek,

Thanks for the info.  

So next question. What box would I need to buy to get a reliable browser? Chromecast? Amazon?

Chromecast would work if you don't mind casting from your phone or PC (using Google Chrome). I have Nvidia shield TV, which has Chromecast built in, and it does come in handy for showing videos from my browser from my PC on TV. There is a primitive browser for SHield as well, but not as easy to use as just Chromecasting
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Charles62
Level 8

You can look on amazon and they got all kinds of streamers with andriod
0 Kudos
Charles62
Level 8

That the only way with roku is mirror cast . I wish I would have looked more before I bought this Roku ultra
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

If you want a streamer with a browser, I highly recommend an Amazon Fire TV box or stick..

I like my Roku more for everyday streaming, but there's lots of tricks Fire can do that the Roku can't. I use both of them for different reasons. And you can sideload Android apps onto Fire devices.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

You can use the Chrome Browser for Android and Miracast, which is available on most newer Android phones.  You can enable screen mirroring in Roku in Settings/System.

TwinSpires also has its own proprietary app for Android that you can download and use with Miracast.  The app merely duplicates TwinSpires' mobile site, and the video in either looks exactly the same in Chrome. 

If the video screen is very small (as in about 1/10th your TV screen size), click on the three dots on the stream, "Screen Ratio" and choose "Best resolution."
0 Kudos
dmsatx
Level 7

Amazon Fire has browsers available for it.

0 Kudos