Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMD17
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra suddenly turns on and Remote Finder starts beeping

I see that Roku moderators frequently respond on here so I figured I'd take a shot to see if posting here would help my situation. I have a new model Roku Ultra that progressively got worse with the remote finder alarm. It has been in a closet unplugged for the past month as the situation rendered it unusable (waking up to a random alarm at 2 am is awesome). I contacted Roku and tried every recommended fix to no avail.  I was then asked to package and ship it back at my expense with me assuming the risk of it getting lost. I said no thanks given that this is a known issue and was willing to eat my $100+ and go spend even more on an Apple TV given the poor customer service. Roku then responded and advised that a replacement would be shipped with a return label to send the defective unit back.  I said thank you and provided my address, etc.  Crickets for over a week thereafter.  Then, after 4 to 5 follow-ups, I get a response saying that I obviously missed the instructions about shipping it back at my expense. I've now had enough...I've wasted 3 weeks of time for nothing and am convinced I'll never get anywhere (let the Covid staffing excuses commence...I understand the staffing issues but am sick of that being the first excuse for everything nowadays). This is by far the worst customer service experience I've had in a long time (Apple, on the other hand, recently over-nighted a new set of Beats headphones when my son's had a known defect issue within the warranty period).  The bottom line of my rant is that if this does not get fixed soon I am going to grant my kids permission to go play whatever sport they want with the new latest and greatest Roku product and post it on their social media attesting to how great Roku products are.

0 Kudos
RAGO
Binge Watcher

My problem mysteriously just stopped when I moved the device.  Never really got closer from Roku.  I agree that their customer support is terrible…in fact it is non-existent.  I have another issue I’m going to post regarding HBOmax log in issues.

Chromecast recently sent me a free device. It works great.  

I will say this, Roku’s video quality is outstanding and blows away the Chromecast video.  That is what keeps me with them.  Otherwise, I would have dropped them.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

What seems to be a common factor with this issue is the user has a mesh WiFi network. Can either of you confirm that's your case? Making more space between the mesh router and the Roku has helped some users.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KMD17
Reel Rookie

I do have a mesh wifi system (Orbi) but the distance does not change anything for me.  I've tried running it wireless and via ethernet but it goes off regardless. 

0 Kudos
TL7
Channel Surfer

I do not have mesh system. It's running off a good quality wifi router in another room 35' away. The problem got so bad I finally took out the batteries and put the remote away. We are able to use our TV remote for most functions. When needed, I grab a standard Roku remote from another room and use that.

It's too bad I paid extra for Ultra but can't even use the remote that came with it.

0 Kudos
KMD17
Reel Rookie

@TL7 wrote:

I do not have mesh system. It's running off a good quality wifi router in another room 35' away. The problem got so bad I finally took out the batteries and put the remote away. We are able to use our TV remote for most functions. When needed, I grab a standard Roku remote from another room and use that.

It's too bad I paid extra for Ultra but can't even use the remote that came with it.

I even tried pairing the prior generation Ultra remote but that did not work either. Assuming that I'm never able to get Roku to live up to its warrant (which is becoming apparent), I guess I'll use it on the patio (where older devices usually go) rather than let the kids destroy it.  I need the Ultra remote where this device is intended to go because my youngest child uses the headphone jack to watch cartoons while we listen to music.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Dse4179

Mine was randomly going off as well until I switched the wifi connection for the Roku from the 5 ghz band to the 2.4 ghz band. Since I did that it has not gone off once. 

0 Kudos
bcp56
Reel Rookie

Any update on this?  I just started using a Roku Ultra purchased several months ago.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@bcp56 wrote:

Any update on this?  I just started using a Roku Ultra purchased several months ago.

Are you using a mesh network? That has been identified as one strong possibility as the source of the interference. If you don't know what I mean by mesh, you probably don't have one. 🙂

If you do have a mesh network, I believe some have reported success moving the Ultra further away from the nearest network access point. It doesn't take a large movement sometimes. The wavelength of the WiFi signal is measured in inches at these frequencies. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jaavenor
Binge Watcher

There is only one solution to this problem and that is to demand Roku send you a new unit.  Their customer service if you want to call it that will beat around the buses and ask you to do the same.  I got tired of that **bleep** and several months ago demanded they send me a new unit.  They did so and the replacement unit works with my mesh system with no problem.  Roku will demand that you first mail them your troubled unit.  Refuse to do that reminding them their customer service is suspect.  They will oblige.

0 Kudos