Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

@Walkerwade wrote:

HELP!!  I have the same problem!!   Brand new in box, found it at my mother’s house!! Is there a solution??  Where is Roku support in all this???

What model Roku did you find? If it's been sitting around for a long time, it may simply no longer be supported. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Walkerwade
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It’s a Roku2. 

thanks. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Walkerwade wrote:

It’s a Roku2. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't help. There are five different versions of Roku players that use 2 in their name, and three of them are no longer supported. Even the newest version is almost 6 years old. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just got a reconditioned 4670R and it has the SAME problem. Using my wired network, it powers up, finds the remote and updates in seconds. But once it restarts, it loops endlessly. I've tried the hard reset twice but nothing changes. Seems to me if it was the hardware, it wouldn't power up or anything else. Has ANYONE figured out how to trick it into working? 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@jontalk When you did the hard reset, did you hold the reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds? Even one second less and it doesn't truly reset. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Walkerwade
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

How do I determine which version I have?

infuriating that Roku would no longer support their products.   Speaks volumes about this company.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Walkerwade If by version you mean what specific model you have, it's generally imprinted on the case, although very often hard to read. If the Roku is running it can be found in the Settings/System/About menu.

It's not unusual at all for older devices to no longer be supported. With electronic devices, the technology advances so rapidly, older devices won't support the latest features. That's why so many of the latest channels won't work on older devices. They simply don't have the processing power. Any electronic device that can be updated with firmware or OS updates eventually reaches a time that support is dropped. I'm amazed that Roku still supports some devices from 2013, which they do. But those old of devices still won't run the latest channels, even though Roku still supports them.

Dan

0 Kudos
ErubyC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my SE 2710X - purchased new in 2016; never opened until Dec 2020. There are several posts with same update loop - most older units that have never had an update,

I believe it is the latest Rouk OS 9.4 Update -- it Fails to Update the Older OS versions!
    I suspect the OS 7 through 8.2 (possibly 9.0) wont accept the update to 9.4.

I do not know if this was done deliberately; of just a OS "coding error"?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@ErubyC The 2710 was released in Sep 2013, so the device is over 7 years old. According to Roku, it is still supported for OS updates, but there are many newer channels that will not work on it. If it is stuck in the update loop, and a hard reset doesn't restore it to operation, then it's likely suffered a hardware failure of some type. Remember that a hard reset requires holding the button for a minimum of 30 seconds, and not one second less. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Walkerwade
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the Roku2 Model 2720. is this still supported?

Is it possible to make these serviceable once not supported by Roku (i.e flash it with other software, etc)?

0 Kudos