Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop

Jump to solution

@Walkerwade Yes, still supported. But, it's quite old, released in Sept 2013. Many of the latest channels won't run on it. 

Can a Roku be repurposed? I have never seen it happen. The Roku OS is a highly modified version of Linux, and it's doubtful that another OS could be installed without significant recoding. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes Dan..actually held it longer. When nothing worked I had a chat with Roku support who stated the problem was the update wasn't getting installed properly even though it showed 100% progress. He took the serial number and filed a request for a replacement so I'm waiting to hear from Roku processing now. Having owned a problem-free Roku 3 for many years it appears the QC/testing needs to be improved. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
kplewis

Jump to solution

Nice that the team reached out to him to resolve his issue, but a shame that they then kept it a secret from the rest of us. As usual, Roku is no help and we must rely on non paid users to solve problems that the ultra rich who created the glich simply ignore. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

So

Why exactly do we accept these updates being forced on us, but roku refuses to assist when their updates break a device?

Either 1: let us leave it be, as it's working or

2: roku breaks it, roju fixes it.

0 Kudos
Walkerwade
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

it looks like my device, which is brand new, fresh out of a box is just no longer supported by Roku.

So begs a question - why is it that they could not just issue an online update to these older devices?  What is justification to just make them obsolete and inoperable.

combining that with the comments from others provided from my original post...I know what my purchase decision will be in the future when buying a smart device!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Walkerwade wrote:

it looks like my device, which is brand new, fresh out of a box is just no longer supported by Roku.

So begs a question - why is it that they could not just issue an online update to these older devices?  What is justification to just make them obsolete and inoperable.

If you are referring to your Roku 2 Model 2720, while it might be fresh out of the box, it is in no way a brand new device. As mentioned before, that model was released in September of 2013. Roku can only do so much with OS updates. The hardware your player uses simply isn't powerful enough to run some of the latest channels. Your player is still supported by Roku for OS updates. But many streaming providers will not support the player, again because of its lack of processing power. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
crammy
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra stuck in a continual update loop : Solved

Jump to solution

I like this idea.  I can see it.  Probably the filter capacitor inside the power adapter has failed and sending dirty power to the roku.

0 Kudos
Treklvr98
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I've had the same issues with my identical model as yours.  If you have an SD card in it, remove it and see if that solves the issue.  Use a name brand, not a cheap Chinese knock-off, in the box.  I have found that Micro SD card brand works best.  You don't need any bigger than an 8gb card.  Any more than that is overkill.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Joeleon

Jump to solution

I have the same issue , please help ! 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Joeleon,

Welcome to the Roku Community and we appreciate your effort to reach us.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Are you being prompted with an error message? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue?

Once we have this information, I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos