Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra spec says it supports .mkv (Matroska). My Roku Media Player says format not supported

@PlayaCat 

I feel your frustration. Its too bad you cant get a log or debug rendering.

Unless the developers want to work with it.

Otherwise Ive long since had a HDMI cable running from a computer directly to my TV..

Which of course works great. You can use an old or new laptop as an appliance.

Just suggestions.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku Ultra spec says it supports .mkv (Matroska). My Roku Media Player says format not supported

@PlayaCat wrote:

I need advice a bit more sophisticated than newbie surface points that don't speak to my problem. Most likely, my Ultra has a configuration element that should  be changed, or I'm going to have to buy a 4670. For right now, I'm either converting Matroska to Roku 3 .mp4 or watching it on my 1080p computer monitors.

That's also a bit condescending, as every person that has responded to you here is not a "newbie". 

There are no internal settings on any Roku to handle media differently. I gave you a link in my other post that explains the supported audio and video codecs, and some caveats about them. The only thing missing from that page is that Roku devices also support the TS/M2TS container.

If you aren't going to use a DLNA media server to handle transcoding on the fly, which works quite well by the way, then your media must comply with the limited number of containers and codecs that Roku supports.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 16

Agreed! the Roku works fine for what it is and costs.

@PlayaCat 

For the record it doesn't make sense to me that someone who

claims to be so involved with Media editing and coding would

be so dependent on the usb port of a Roku.

Obviously your Grandeur "abilitys" have indeed corrupted the

files either via software or ineptitude..

I used to play .mkv's on my now retired Roku 2.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have twelve Rokus of all versions - sticks (using USB in TV), Roku 2, 3 ,Ultra, etc.  I had a bunch of files that were in AVI that I had to convert for Roku.  Everything that I have converted to mkv using Handbreak have worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@BeachBum99 

It could be that things have improved over the years.

This was unreliable back when.

Still I dont understand any aversion from using a cloud service.

Its easy and reliable and faster.

I have terabytes of Movies and old TV shows on several HD's.

Why people become so dependent on the USB port of a Roku and so

emotional about it is beyond me.

It is not hard to simply pipe it over to your TV directly from your computer.

And then you dont need to involve yourself with transcoding at all.

0 Kudos