Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbie-W
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra shows 2 different Model Numbers on Restarts

Jump to solution

I purchased a Roku Ultra 4670RW from eBay and the first time I set it up and got around to checking the information it showed that it was a Roku Ultra 4660X. I unplugged the device, plugged it back in and then it showed it was a Roku Ultra 4670RW. Both instances the Serial Number was the same, but the ID Number was different. The 4670RW matched the ID Number on the box and the 4660X did not. I am returning it because it included the wrong remote also. I have never had a Roku device do this before. Are they known to do this? Should I only purchase new at a physical store?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra shows 2 different Model Numbers on Restarts

Jump to solution

@Robbie-W wrote:

The concern was that the first boot showed Roku Ultra 4660X and the second boot showed Roku Ultra 4670RW.

I am not concerned about the X vs RW because I know about that. I am concerned about the 4660 vs the 4670 because these are two different generation devices.

First, I don't know why the model number listed on the device would have changed, but I know this much: the devices are different, but not that different.

Roku Ultra 4660 and 4661 (I know, you're talking about 4670, but bear with me) are the exact same device. The difference between the 4660 and 4661 is the packaging. The 4661 came with a better set of earbuds in the box. That's all.

Likewise, the Roku 3 4200 and the Roku 2 4210 were the very same device. One came with a fancy remote, and the other came with a simple remote. Oh, and one had "3" molded into the plastic casing and the other had a "2" molded in. That's it. No other difference. The boxes themselves were identical inside the plastic casing.

There is a difference between the 4660 and 4670. The RAM. The 4660/4661 has 1 GB RAM, and the 4670 has 2 GB.

You also mentioned a different remote. I don't recall what the difference was with the remotes. I was thinking they came with the same remote. I had a 4660, but never a 4670, as I didn't see it as worth an upgrade.

But, if indeed the remote was wrong, that indicates the eBay seller may have swapped remotes, doing what was essentially a user refurbishment. He could even have flashed the device with the wrong software, if he knew what he was doing, but did it poorly. And an update from Roku proper then uploaded the correct software.

All that's a guess, by the way. I suspect the eBay seller could tell the whole story, if he would.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
renojim

Jump to solution

X vs RW is irrelavent.  RW means it was bought at Walmart.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Robbie-W
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The concern was that the first boot showed Roku Ultra 4660X and the second boot showed Roku Ultra 4670RW.

I am not concerned about the X vs RW because I know about that. I am concerned about the 4660 vs the 4670 because these are two different generation devices.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It took you over a year to respond to your own post? Interesting 

0 Kudos
Robbie-W
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I find it even more interesting in the fact that YOU CHOSE TO POINT THAT OUT.

I personally forgot about the forums, WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE?

TROLL

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

A troll is you. You come in here and complain, make rude remarks then leave.   What’s more interesting is you made a post and never came back to it for a year. I guess it was never that important to begin with. You just wanted to whine 

0 Kudos
Robbie-W
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

AGAIN: Why does this bother you? It truly is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. STOP HARASSING ME

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Robbie-W wrote:

First, I don't know why the model number listed on the device would have changed, but I know this much: the devices are different, but not that different.

Roku Ultra 4660 and 4661 (I know, you're talking about 4670, but bear with me) are the exact same device. The difference between the 4660 and 4661 is the packaging. The 4661 came with a better set of earbuds in the box. That's all.

Likewise, the Roku 3 4200 and the Roku 2 4210 were the very same device. One came with a fancy remote, and the other came with a simple remote. Oh, and one had "3" molded into the plastic casing and the other had a "2" molded in. That's it. No other difference. The boxes themselves were identical inside the plastic casing.

There is a difference between the 4660 and 4670. The RAM. The 4660/4661 has 1 GB RAM, and the 4670 has 2 GB.

You also mentioned a different remote. I don't recall what the difference was with the remotes. I was thinking they came with the same remote. I had a 4660, but never a 4670, as I didn't see it as worth an upgrade.

But, if indeed the remote was wrong, that indicates the eBay seller may have swapped remotes, doing what was essentially a user refurbishment. He could even have flashed the device with the wrong software, if he knew what he was doing, but did it poorly. And an update from Roku proper then uploaded the correct software.

All that's a guess, by the way. I suspect the eBay seller could tell the whole story, if he would.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Robbie-W
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

THANK YOU - The reason I revisited my post was because I was considering upgrading my Roku and giving the 4670 to a friend but I wanted to know if my suspicions were correct before buying online. After reading your response it did remind me that the device that I purchased from eBay was indeed "sketchy" because when contacting the seller, they said things like "Roku devices do that sometimes because of their firmware" and they couldn't explain the difference in the remote. It was listed as an "open box". I did return that right after posting my original question and went to Walmart to make the purchase. So I have the 4670RW-Roku Ultra and have learned not to purchase certain things online because of all the shadiness out there. Thank You again for the reply, I was wondering if they could be tampered with by people and I am sure that is what happened. lol

0 Kudos