Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra reboots after screen mess

Our Ultra reboots around 10 pm every night, sometimes more than once an evening. The tv screen goes bright with multi colored pixels all over. When its done it comes back on ok. Checking system it shows that it either just updated or at least checked for an update. Can the time that it checks be changed to like 3am or set to manual?

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Change when Roku Ultra updates

That is not normal behavior for a system update/system update check.

It sounds more like your Ultra has a problem, reboots, and upon reboot does the automatic boot-update check.

What is your model # and firmware version?

What happens when you manually check for updates?  (Settings/System/System update/Check now?)

And no, there is no simple direct way for users to configure the auto-update/update check process.

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Model - 4800X

Software version 9.4.1 build 4236-c2

Manual update check seems to work fine.

Will look into warranty... it's only about 3 months old. been acting up for a couple weeks

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Update.... Roku replaced the Ultra pretty fast. Now the replacement is suffering the same issue. The screen does this and then the ultra reboots. So far they have not offered a replacement again, they have been pretty quiet but things take time I guess.

tv.jpg

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You might want to verify whether they sent you a different device, or a "repaired" original device (check the serial numbers).

If its a different device then it may be related to its connection/configuration (something in the HDMI handshaking/connection to your TV/AVR is causing the restart).

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

It's a different unit. They sent me the replacement and once it was received I sent the defective original back to them.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @jrjr2u

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Since you are in recent contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them to resolve the issue you are experiencing as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

But you keep telling me that I have to send in the defective unit first then you will send out the replacement. You are not addressing my concerns on this procedure, you are just ignoring my words!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

We'll assume your 4800 is on 10.0.0-4209, though you should check yourself:  Settings/System/About

What is the TV/AVR/soundbar brand/model/firmware version?

How is the 4800 connected?  Directly to TV? Or to AVR/Soundbar?

Have you manually configured resolution? Settings/Display type/1080p (or 720p if thats all your TV supports)

Manually configured audio? Settings/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

Disabled/enabled framerate matching?  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto adjust display refresh rate

0 Kudos
jrjr2u
Binge Watcher

Ahhhh... yea I don't need to troubleshoot, that's not the issue. The unit is defective, again.

0 Kudos