Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RP9
Streaming Star

Roku Ultra on SHD (1920X1080) TV vs Roku 3 (4230x)?

Any advantage or problems with using the Roku Ultra 4K 2021 with a SHD TV 1920X1080? I currently have the Roku 3/4230x and it generally works well ethernet wired. But I had tried buying a new 4K TV that had an Android OS and lacked apps that I could get on the Roku - so I took the Roku offer of a sale price on the Ultra so I could make the new TV work the way I wanted. Long story short, the TV turned out to be defective and the replacement one was too so I turned it in for a refund and am back to my older SHD TV. In the meantime the Ultra was delivered and sits here unopened.

I wonder if there is an advantage to using the Roku Ultra with my current SHD TV until I finally get a newer TV? Or just send it back.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra on SHD (1920X1080) TV vs Roku 3 (4230x)?

Just as an FYI, there is no "Roku Ultra 4K 2021" (yet) - the most recent Ultra is from 2020 (4800).  There is an "Express 4K" and "Express 4K+" (3940/3941).

Obviously the 4800 is a much more capable device (in general) with newer features and functions that your 4230 doesnt have.

You can read the box or the roku.com specs to decide for yourself if any of the newer features/functions are worth it for you (no one else can tell you), however, you did buy it, so one presumes you assumed some usage advantage instead of just re-using your 4230.

Regardless, the only way to know for sure if there are problems or benefits with your setup is to actually use it.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Your current 4230X connects to the tv via HDMI, as do all Rokus in the current product line.   So it's just a matter of plugging your new Roku, whichever one you choose, into the HDMI port that was used by your current Roku.  4K Rokus are compatible with HD sets as well so there should be no problem there..

You'll need to set up the new Roku from scratch, being sure to link it to the same Roku account (identified by email address) as you use for your current Roku.  Since your channel choices are stored in your Roku account, all your current channels will be installed to your new Roku.  Many channels that require logging into may need to be logged into on the new device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

Yes I can see that the Roku Ultra will deliver SHD in addition to the 4K content. So no issues there with SHD TVs.

But, will the Ultra allow faster internet speeds than the Roku 3? My current modem-router wired setup to my PC gets me 92-98Mbps and only (again ethernet wired) 52-62 Mbps through the Roku 3 to my TV. My service provider "guarantees" 100Mbps, so the PC speed is close enough but the TV/Roku speed is off. I know 52-62 Mbps for streaming in theory should be plenty (no gaming here). But is the Roku 3 slowing things down & would the Ultra allow faster throughput?

Not exactly earth shattering importance, but thoughts on an otherwise slow day...

0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

Update: I installed the Roku Ultra and here's what I've noticed.

The picture quality is significantly improved, about 20% better with more detail and dynamic range, and better color. Keep in mind the picture I had with the Roku 3 I thought was already very good, so this improvement surprised me. Clearly there is a lot more data getting through with the Ultra.

The internet speed is mildly improved from Roku 3 of 52-62 Mbps to Ultra 72-78 Mbps. My ISP will top off at 100 Mbps.

The slow to boot up & double boot-up glitch with the Roku 3 every time it's turned on is gone now, as is the regular buffering. The Ultra boots up quickly and cleanly.

So I have answered my own question here. The newer hardware & software of the Roku Ultra can make a significant improvement even on a SHD TV.

0 Kudos