Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buddyboy1

Roku Ultra features.

I currently use WDTV Live streaming media player and love it.

I understand that Roku Ultra is the only Roku which offers an ethernet connection.  I definitely want an ethernet connection.  I am used to two USB input sockets.  Does the Ultra have just one?  If so, can I use a splitter to connect more than one?  Just one seems limiting.

I place my media on a 1TB portable hard drive.  Can the USB outlet handle that?  I am used to watching media then deleting it using the remote.  Can I do that with the Ultra?  My smart TV does not let me edit media in any way.

Finally, I am asking these questions because I cannot find answers on line.  Is there a good web resource with answers to these questions.  Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra features.

The only questions I can answer for sure is that media is always mounted read-only, so there's no way to delete anything, and only the Ultra and Streambar have a wired Ethernet connector. (not counting some Roku TVs).

I'm sure someone has tried a USB hub, but I have not.

Just reading here it seems that hard drives are hit or miss, but a 1TB drive shouldn't be a problem.  The Ultra has been known to have issues with USB3 drives, but I believe the problem has been identified if not fixed quite yet.

Keep in mind that Rokus are very limited in codec support, so do some research first or you may find that many of your videos are not supported.  There's no comparison between a WDTV Live device and a Roku.  Roku pales in comparison for local streaming.

There's plenty of experts here, so this is probably the best place to ask questions.  You can also dig through the Roku website.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos