Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doa_jeff
Level 7

Roku Ultra and USB Hard drive

Hoping someone can answer this.  I just purchased a Roku Ultra after using a WD media player to play mkv files on my tv.  I tried plugging in a 2TB WD My Passport portable hard drive and the Roku will not acknowledge it.  Tried a simple 8GB thumbdrive and it worked great.  I tried a PNY - Elite Turbo Attache 4 64GB USB 3.0 Type A Flash Drive and that wouldn't work either.

Is there any information out there telling us / me what would work and what won't?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra and USB Hard drive

If your portable drive doesn't have its own power supply, it may need more power from the Roku USB port than available. You could try a powered hub if the drive doesn't have its own power. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

0 Kudos
alizona
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
Have you read the FAQ?
https://support.roku.com/article/230160 ... -usb-drive

One of the very few FAQs I've read anywhere that I was inclined to click "Yes" on the "Was this article helpful?" question at the bottom of the page.
Didn't know about the exFAT exception. I have a couple thumbs that won't work with my 2XS and others that do so never a big deal. If formatting is the reason I'll feel awfully stupid.
0 Kudos
k939a
Level 7

I have a SeaGate 2TB hard drive I was adding movies to and using with my Roku. A few weeks ago it stopped being able to read on any of my computers but is still working with the Roku fine.... Any thoughts?
0 Kudos