Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Ultra almost perfect for me

I'm hoping someone can help me resolve a somewhat minor/obscure issue. There have been many posts re the lack of Roku control of Receivers or Sound bars. (Probably due to costs, as it should be relatively easy to implement).

I have connected an Ultra to a Samsung 65"UHD tv and a Denon 8-1 HDMI receiver, to control the use of multiple inputs. It works ALMOST perfectly. Video is awesome and sound thru the Denon is terrific.

In the evening I can watch streaming, etc on the Samsung-Denon-Ultra and all is well. I can turn off both the Samsung-Denon by pressing the Ultra remote Power button. Then later come back to bring the system up, press the Ultra remote Power button and the TV is the only thing to turn on. No Denon?

Ignoring the Ultra, just trying to work the TV and Denon, using the Samsung remote to toggle the TV power on/off, the Denon follows suite and turns on/off. I have the HDMI-CEC setup to do this. This is what I am trying to make work with the Roku/remote.

So it seems pretty weird that toggling the power on/off on the TV and have that control the Denon works, but when I use the Roku remote.

Any help would be terrific. Very weird problem.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra almost perfect for me

I just got a Ultra as well and am Happy with it so far. I can now control

my TV world with just the Ultra remote.

I was used to and OK with carrying around 2 remotes before though.

Too many features is like a car. The more features and attributes the more

there is to go wrong. And screw up everything.

I have a Receiver Iuse for my main computer. I jhust leave it on all the time.

Its solid state I just leave it on even when not in use.

Just like 2 of my computers they run 24/7.

Computers like to stay on anyway as far as Im concerned.

I'll update you when my house burns down.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi BN, I know what you are saying and it is what I have to do for now. The problem I have is, as we both know, it is not environmentally the right thing to do. There is no need to waste energy. The Roku should be able to handle this kind of thing with zero issues. If I use my TV remote - both the TV and AVR turn off and on with a single button push. The Roku Ultra remote turns them off, but only turns the TV back on.

As an engineer, I find that not only ridiculous, but offensively incomplete. Roku should be able to make this right with out a ton of work. It is not a new issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

BN, BTW, I truly thank you for responding.

Highlighted
Level 18

The only truly OFF TV is a TV that is unplugged from the wall. A TV powered but turned off by remote is in standby, its in a state to accept the remote ON command. It may not be in a state to accept a signal from second device, roku, and at the same time send a pulse to a third device, the AV receiver.

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for that clarification. I truly was intending that meaning. I am aware that any unit (TV, Receiver, etc) is in a soft OFF state so it may be brought out of that state to a full ON state. Without a long explanation, I also use an Nvidia Shield on the same system for access to other applications. Because we cannot get the X1 App on the Shield, I went to the Roku for standard television channels. If I press the OK  button on the Roku or the Shield remote, the system (AVR) will toggle to that connection (Roku or Shield input).

If I press the POWER button on the Nvidia remote it will toggle the TV and Receiver to the OFF (soft OFF) position. If I press the POWER button on the Shield again it will turn the TV and AVR back to the full ON state. On the Shield it is all controlled within the CEC HDMI connections. The Roku should be able to do the same thing. It is there, just not implemented. The Roku remote will control the AVR volume via the HDMI-CEC.

lastly, I think that more people, if not now, will in the future have their home systems set up in similar manner, StreamingBox-TV-AVR-Speakers, for home theater effects whether gaming or watching movies. It is simple to set up and the results are great. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Highlighted
Level 8

Hi Tivo. Thank you for the update. That is good news. Although I think it is very overdue. Considering the Roku can control the volume via HDMI-CEC today, it should be able to control the power, today. Fortunately my AVR is a Denon and hopefully sometime soon there will be a firmware upgrade to my Ultra and my Denon that completes the solution.

Best regards.

0 Kudos