Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra Versions

Jump to solution

Hi - I'm looking to buy a Roku Ultra but I am seeing that there are multiple versions. 

Can anyone tell me how many versions of the Roku Ultra exist? 

What are the differences between the various versions?

How do you tell the various versions apart when shopping (i.e. model number, year, etc..)?

In advance, I appreciate the help.

Best - Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Roku Ultra Versions

Jump to solution

There have been 4 different versions of the Roku Ultra: 

The 4640 (Oct 2016) was the first, and the first Roku (along with the new Premiere/Premiere+) to support HDR (the previous Roku 4 supported 4K but not HDR). It included a Dolby Digital encoder, and is the only Roku player that ever had that. It also included an optical audio output port. 

The 4660 (Oct 2017) changed the processor to an ARM Cortex CPU, and also reduced the channel memory from 1GB to 512MB. In addition the optical port and DD encoder were removed to reduce the cost.

The 4661 (Oct 2018) is identical to the 4660, but came with better "higher quality" ear buds.

The 4670 (Sep 2019) doubled the system memory to 2 GB. No other noticeable changes. This is the current version. But the older versions are still available from sites other than Roku.

You can view more detail at this wiki site.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

There have been 4 different versions of the Roku Ultra: 

The 4640 (Oct 2016) was the first, and the first Roku (along with the new Premiere/Premiere+) to support HDR (the previous Roku 4 supported 4K but not HDR). It included a Dolby Digital encoder, and is the only Roku player that ever had that. It also included an optical audio output port. 

The 4660 (Oct 2017) changed the processor to an ARM Cortex CPU, and also reduced the channel memory from 1GB to 512MB. In addition the optical port and DD encoder were removed to reduce the cost.

The 4661 (Oct 2018) is identical to the 4660, but came with better "higher quality" ear buds.

The 4670 (Sep 2019) doubled the system memory to 2 GB. No other noticeable changes. This is the current version. But the older versions are still available from sites other than Roku.

You can view more detail at this wiki site.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks very much.  This is the info I was looking for.

0 Kudos