Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NightHawk
Level 7

Roku Ultra Standby Mode?

Do the Roku Ultra models ever go into a standby mode where video output is off, no network data at all,  and very low power consumption?
Or does it just go into screen saver mode and stay there indefinitely until a remote key is pressed or power unplugged?
If it just stays in screen saver mode, do some screen savers require network data access periodically while in that mode to get new images, etc?
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Miami_Son
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra Standby Mode?

The only thing a Roku in screensaver mode should be capable of streaming is an authorized system upgrade or other firmware/software update. Of course, if you don't exit out of whatever channel/streaming service you are watching back to the menu and simply turn the TV off it will continue to stream until the screensaver kicks in.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

What about Roku screen savers that cycle thru various images like the 4K one?  Don't they have to download each image when they switch to a new one using the network connection?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I believe the images are contained within firmware, so no they shouldn't need to be downloaded each time they cycle. Roku players do go into a standby mode, consuming very little power. The only network activity should be the daily check for updates, and of course downloading any found. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I believe the images are contained within firmware, so no they shouldn't need to be downloaded each time they cycle. Roku players do go into a standby mode, consuming very little power. The only network activity should be the daily check for updates, and of course downloading any found. 

Is the Roku standby mode while the screensaver is active or is there a later time after the screensaver starts that it enters a low power standby mode?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"NightHawk" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Is the Roku standby mode while the screensaver is active or is there a later time after the screensaver starts that it enters a low power standby mode?

No, not in standby while the SS is active (I don't think Smiley Happy). I can't say what timeframe is used to go into reduced power mode. I've never monitored any of mine like that. In general, a Roku uses very little power when not actively streaming, so I can't really say. The Roku I'm looking at right now is a Roku TV, which behaves differently than a player. So can't check what the power menu options might be. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

If the Ultra has a Standby mode I have yet to see it. No matter how long I am gone I always find it in screensaver mode when I return to it. Still, it does not use any noticeable bandwidth in screensaver mode as evidenced by the traffic lights on my cable modem. All 5 of my Express units are powered by the USB ports on the TVs they are connected to. All but one TV (a Vizio) turns off power to the USB with the TV, so exiting to the menu is unnecessary on those. This is handy in the bedrooms where we often use the Sleep timer to turn off the TV at night knowing that streaming will also stop when the TV shuts off.
0 Kudos
NightHawk
Level 7

I tried disabling the screensaver on my Roku Ultra yesterday and let it sit in home screen and turned off the TV.
The front LED stayed on even hours later, so no evidence of it entering any kind of standby/low power mode at all.
So I'm using a powerstrip that can turn off outlets when the TV is off so that the Roku's power is turned off with the TV.
Thats how I have a Roku Stick setup on my other TV using the TV's USB port for power which turns off when the TV is off.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I just checked my Ultra (model 4640). It hasn't been touched since some time yesterday. There is no front LED visible. I do have the 4K screensaver enabled. So it does appear to enter some kind of sleep mode. Perhaps a screensaver needs to be applied for it to kick in. I powered the TV on, not touching the Roku remote. When I switched to the Roku input, I saw the screensaver running. The front panel LED was still off. As soon as I touched a button on the Roku remote, the LED illuminated and the home screen appeared. So it does look like the screensaver needs to be running to enter low power mode. 
Dan
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

I believe the LED being off is merely an indication that a screen saver is active and is not an indication of any kind of low power mode (if such a thing exists).
0 Kudos